Mouse Problem

All of a sudden, my MS Intellimouse optical explorer mouse is having left
mouse button trouble! Single clicks are interpreted asa double clicks,
Double clicks have unexpected actions (like launching a program)

System: Athalon 2000+, plenty of ram & HD, XP -SP1+current updates.
using intellimouse driver v4.12 ( not the latest, but I need the buttons
programable per program)

Anybody know this problem and/or a fix??

Chuck, simplest is to uninstall the v4.12 from Add/Remove Programs in
Control Panel. Restart and I think you can find a newer version at
www.microsoft.com/downloads