Reboots on some 2d games

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hey guys - For the last month I have been having problems with periodic
reboots. I have noticed that it only happens when a 2d game is running (but
not all) - for instance, after running the games tacops, Alpha Centauri or
the mame arcade emulator for about 3 minutes, the computer reboots (no app
crash - just a reboot) Also, it rebooted on a Matrix screensaver. To
resolve the problem, I reinstalled windows xp from scratch and reinstalled
everything. Unfortunately I am still experiencing the problem. Any ideas
about what is going on? How can I track down the problem?

Thanks

Bob

P.S. I am running an Athlon XP 2000+, a Geforce 4 4200 and an onboard
soundcard (although I tried adding a soundblaster 16 but had the same
result)
2 answers Last reply
More about reboots games
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hello

    Make sure your case has good air circulation and also consider
    maybe getting a bigger power supply maybe a 400w to 450w ps

    Al

    Bob Robertson wrote:

    > Hey guys - For the last month I have been having problems with periodic
    > reboots. I have noticed that it only happens when a 2d game is running (but
    > not all) - for instance, after running the games tacops, Alpha Centauri or
    > the mame arcade emulator for about 3 minutes, the computer reboots (no app
    > crash - just a reboot) Also, it rebooted on a Matrix screensaver. To
    > resolve the problem, I reinstalled windows xp from scratch and reinstalled
    > everything. Unfortunately I am still experiencing the problem. Any ideas
    > about what is going on? How can I track down the problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > P.S. I am running an Athlon XP 2000+, a Geforce 4 4200 and an onboard
    > soundcard (although I tried adding a soundblaster 16 but had the same
    > result)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I was thinking about this but 3d games work fine....?

    Bob
    "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > Make sure your case has good air circulation and also consider
    > maybe getting a bigger power supply maybe a 400w to 450w ps
    >
    > Al
    >

    > Bob Robertson wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys - For the last month I have been having problems with periodic
    > > reboots. I have noticed that it only happens when a 2d game is running
    (but
    > > not all) - for instance, after running the games tacops, Alpha Centauri
    or
    > > the mame arcade emulator for about 3 minutes, the computer reboots (no
    app
    > > crash - just a reboot) Also, it rebooted on a Matrix screensaver. To
    > > resolve the problem, I reinstalled windows xp from scratch and
    reinstalled
    > > everything. Unfortunately I am still experiencing the problem. Any
    ideas
    > > about what is going on? How can I track down the problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > > P.S. I am running an Athlon XP 2000+, a Geforce 4 4200 and an onboard
    > > soundcard (although I tried adding a soundblaster 16 but had the same
    > > result)

Games Microsoft Windows XP