USB Drivers for A7N8X

Hi everyone, I do bulk scanning of about 100 images a day using a USB
scanner. My PC has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and I am running XP SP1.
I sometimes get errors when scanning and I have been told by Epson that I
need to install the correct USB drivers for the USB ports. At the moment, I
have the USB port descriptions showing Standard Enhanced on the device
manager. I'm not sure what brand of ports are mounted on the motherboard but
I've been trying for days now to install the right drivers but no luck. I
can't shift the "standard" drivers.

Can anyone tell me
a) where I can find the right drivers for my motherboard USB ports
b) How I correctly install these.

A BIG thanks in advance!

donny

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2002

i have the same motherboard they are on the disk and on windows updates!
click on device manager and select properties then click update driver make
sure you check mark the box that looks on the net for them.it should go
automatically and install them

"Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I do bulk scanning of about 100 images a day using a USB
> scanner. My PC has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and I am running XP SP1.
> I sometimes get errors when scanning and I have been told by Epson that I
> need to install the correct USB drivers for the USB ports. At the moment,
> have the USB port descriptions showing Standard Enhanced on the device
> manager. I'm not sure what brand of ports are mounted on the motherboard
> but
> I've been trying for days now to install the right drivers but no luck. I
> can't shift the "standard" drivers.
>
> Can anyone tell me
> a) where I can find the right drivers for my motherboard USB ports
> b) How I correctly install these.
>
> A BIG thanks in advance!

"Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I do bulk scanning of about 100 images a day using a USB
> scanner. My PC has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and I am running XP SP1.
> I sometimes get errors when scanning and I have been told by Epson that I
> need to install the correct USB drivers for the USB ports. At the moment,
> have the USB port descriptions showing Standard Enhanced on the device
> manager. I'm not sure what brand of ports are mounted on the motherboard
> but
> I've been trying for days now to install the right drivers but no luck. I
> can't shift the "standard" drivers.
>
> Can anyone tell me
> a) where I can find the right drivers for my motherboard USB ports
> b) How I correctly install these.
>
> A BIG thanks in advance!

I have two A7N8X motherboards here, an -x and a Deluxe. In both cases, the
drivers needed came on the CD's that came with the motherboards. As I've had
no problems with a scanner and other USB devices, including a DVD recorder,
I think the ports are fine.
Do you have any other USB devices you can attach to the same port(s) you are
using for the Epson scanner to see if other devices also exhibit problems?
Do you have access to a second PC that you can try the scanner with?
I'm asking these questions because I'm a bit suspicious that Epson "tech
support" just pointed a finger elsewhere to get rid of you.
You can use Donny's suggestions to install updated drivers, but you should
also eliminate the scanner as the source of the problem by proving to
yourself that it works correctly attached to a different PC.
If you do the testing and have to contact Epson again, you can tell them why
you *know* it's their scanner and not a port or driver.

Dino

the drivers install as that ..Standard and Enhanced..that is a typical
install....XP SP1 or greater installs them.Have an A7N8X-Deluxe and A7N8X-X
and both are same with no issues...could be a corrupt install of XP...which
does actually happen

Epson told me that once the driver is installed correctly the name should
change from "standard" controllers to the acutal manufacturer's name.

Funny thing is that the scanner worked fine on ald older PC running windows
98 and usb 1.1. I have the asus CD but when I try and install the USB driver
from the Asus interface it just pops up a text file with instructions,
nothing else. Instructions are difficult to follow though.

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
> the drivers install as that ..Standard and Enhanced..that is a typical
> install....XP SP1 or greater installs them.Have an A7N8X-Deluxe and
A7N8X-X
> and both are same with no issues...could be a corrupt install of
XP...which
> does actually happen

martin

Those instructions are hard, yes. I managed a year ago, but it's much
simpler to just install Servicepack 2.
I re-installed my PC a few weeks back with XP-SP2 and the USB ports were
installed like they should. No extra drivers requiered.

--
Martin
The Netherlands

"Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> schreef in bericht
> Epson told me that once the driver is installed correctly the name should
> change from "standard" controllers to the acutal manufacturer's name.
>
> Funny thing is that the scanner worked fine on ald older PC running
> windows
> 98 and usb 1.1. I have the asus CD but when I try and install the USB
> driver
> from the Asus interface it just pops up a text file with instructions,
> nothing else. Instructions are difficult to follow though.
>

> "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
>> the drivers install as that ..Standard and Enhanced..that is a typical
>> install....XP SP1 or greater installs them.Have an A7N8X-Deluxe and
> A7N8X-X
>> and both are same with no issues...could be a corrupt install of
> XP...which
>> does actually happen

Thanks Martin, I am downloading SP2 as we "speak". It's a big file though
(75MB). I got an error message about 10% into the download and now it just
keeps going with the download whenever I'm online (56k only I'm afraid).

Regards

"Martin" <nospam@nospam.nl> wrote in message
> Those instructions are hard, yes. I managed a year ago, but it's much
> simpler to just install Servicepack 2.
> I re-installed my PC a few weeks back with XP-SP2 and the USB ports were
> installed like they should. No extra drivers requiered.
>
> --
> Martin
> The Netherlands
>
> "Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> schreef in bericht
> > Epson told me that once the driver is installed correctly the name
should
> > change from "standard" controllers to the acutal manufacturer's name.
> >
> > Funny thing is that the scanner worked fine on ald older PC running
> > windows
> > 98 and usb 1.1. I have the asus CD but when I try and install the USB
> > driver
> > from the Asus interface it just pops up a text file with instructions,
> > nothing else. Instructions are difficult to follow though.
> >

> > "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
> >> the drivers install as that ..Standard and Enhanced..that is a typical
> >> install....XP SP1 or greater installs them.Have an A7N8X-Deluxe and
> > A7N8X-X
> >> and both are same with no issues...could be a corrupt install of
> > XP...which
> >> does actually happen

martin

You might want to go to the microsoft site then, and download SP2 as a
seperate installer. Then you can save it for next time, after you do a
re-install of your system.
With the program 'autostreamer'
(http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html) you can make a 'new version'
of your original Windows XP cd, with SP2 already integrated. So during your

With SP2 come the right USB drivers. But if it still doesn't work after
installing SP2, you could try deleting the USB ports from the device
manager. Windows recognises them and re-installs them at the next startup.

Re-reading your original message, it could also still be a problem with the
Epson drivers by the way (or something entirely different). Cause you say
you sometimes get errors, not all the time. So the USB ports do work...

--

> Thanks Martin, I am downloading SP2 as we "speak". It's a big file though
> (75MB). I got an error message about 10% into the download and now it just
> keeps going with the download whenever I'm online (56k only I'm afraid).
>
> Regards
>
> "Martin" <nospam@nospam.nl> wrote in message
>> Those instructions are hard, yes. I managed a year ago, but it's much
>> simpler to just install Servicepack 2.
>> I re-installed my PC a few weeks back with XP-SP2 and the USB ports were
>> installed like they should. No extra drivers requiered.
>>
>> --
>> Martin
>> The Netherlands
>>
>> "Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> schreef in bericht
>> > Epson told me that once the driver is installed correctly the name
> should
>> > change from "standard" controllers to the acutal manufacturer's name.
>> >
>> > Funny thing is that the scanner worked fine on ald older PC running
>> > windows
>> > 98 and usb 1.1. I have the asus CD but when I try and install the USB
>> > driver
>> > from the Asus interface it just pops up a text file with instructions,
>> > nothing else. Instructions are difficult to follow though.
>> >

>> > "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
>> > A7N8X-X
>> > XP...which

"Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> wrote in message
> Epson told me that once the driver is installed correctly the name should
> change from "standard" controllers to the acutal manufacturer's name.
>
> Funny thing is that the scanner worked fine on ald older PC running
> windows
> 98 and usb 1.1. I have the asus CD but when I try and install the USB
> driver
> from the Asus interface it just pops up a text file with instructions,
> nothing else. Instructions are difficult to follow though.

Monica,
What Epson told you is not correct, IME.
I have a VIA chipset motherboard here and the properly installed USB drivers
*are* identified in Device Manager as VIA.
However, my two Asus NVIDIA chipset motherboards identify the USB drivers as
follows (note the lack of any NVIDIA ID):

Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

I have both a USB scanner and a DVD writer on these ports, and I'd notice if
the ports (especially the one with the DVD writer) weren't operating at USB
2 speeds.
I am running Win XP with SP2 applied, although the USB driver identification
was as above before I applied SP2.

I can send you the drivers I used, although there may well be newer ones
available. They're in a 65k Zip file if you want them.

Thanks for your reply Martin. I've downloaded SP2 and installed it no
problem. The controllers and hubs on the device manager are listed as
follows:
-Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
-Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (twice)
-USB Root Hub (3 times)

The driver properties mention Microsoft as the manufacturer. Shouldn't it
mention the manufacturer somewhere in there? (Nforce on Nvidia or something
similar?)

Thanks again

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message

> "Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> wrote in message
>> Epson told me that once the driver is installed correctly the name should
>> change from "standard" controllers to the acutal manufacturer's name.
>>
>> Funny thing is that the scanner worked fine on ald older PC running
>> windows
>> 98 and usb 1.1. I have the asus CD but when I try and install the USB
>> driver
>> from the Asus interface it just pops up a text file with instructions,
>> nothing else. Instructions are difficult to follow though.
>>

> Monica,
> What Epson told you is not correct, IME.
> I have a VIA chipset motherboard here and the properly installed USB
> drivers *are* identified in Device Manager as VIA.
> However, my two Asus NVIDIA chipset motherboards identify the USB drivers
> as follows (note the lack of any NVIDIA ID):
>
> Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller
> Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
>
> I have both a USB scanner and a DVD writer on these ports, and I'd notice
> if the ports (especially the one with the DVD writer) weren't operating at
> USB 2 speeds.
> I am running Win XP with SP2 applied, although the USB driver
> identification was as above before I applied SP2.
>
> I can send you the drivers I used, although there may well be newer ones
> available. They're in a 65k Zip file if you want them.

Thanks Peter. It sounds like I may now have the correct drivers installed
since I installed SP2 (about 1 hour ago) , however the controllers and hubs
still state standard so I think as you say it may be that Nvidia don't have
IDs in their drivers. A couple of questions for you though:
1) I understand that you can tell that you are running at USB 2 speeds but
how can you be sure that you are using the nvidia drivers and not the
microsoft ones?
2) how can I tell which manufacturer I have for the USB chipset as I believe
Asus used different manufacturers for the same board.

Thanks in advance

> "Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message
>
> Thanks Peter. It sounds like I may now have the correct drivers installed
> since I installed SP2 (about 1 hour ago) , however the controllers and
> hubs still state standard so I think as you say it may be that Nvidia
> don't have IDs in their drivers. A couple of questions for you though:
> 1) I understand that you can tell that you are running at USB 2 speeds but
> how can you be sure that you are using the nvidia drivers and not the
> microsoft ones?
> 2) how can I tell which manufacturer I have for the USB chipset as I
> believe Asus used different manufacturers for the same board.
>
> Thanks in advance

Actually, I haven't cared where the drivers came from, as they work
flawlessly for me from day one.
To find out about the drivers, go into Device Manager, select the device
that interests you, then right click and select Properties. When the
properties dialog appears, select the Driver tab.
All the drivers installed for my USB2 ports on both the VIA and NVIDIA
chipset PC's come from Microsoft.
As far as the USB chipsets are concerned, all I can suggest is to check your
motherboard manual.
Having said that, I cannot find any information on chipsets for USB in the
manuals. Are you sure you're not thinking of RAID controllers (as they often
come with different chipset support)?

martin

That's how it shows up in my computer too.
The USB drivers are Microsoft drivers, so Nvidia is not mentioned.

--

> Thanks for your reply Martin. I've downloaded SP2 and installed it no
> problem. The controllers and hubs on the device manager are listed as
> follows:
> -Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
> -Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (twice)
> -USB Root Hub (3 times)
>
> The driver properties mention Microsoft as the manufacturer. Shouldn't it
> mention the manufacturer somewhere in there? (Nforce on Nvidia or
> something similar?)
>
> Thanks again
>

> "Martin" <nospam@nospam.nl> wrote in message
>> You might want to go to the microsoft site then, and download SP2 as a
>> seperate installer. Then you can save it for next time, after you do a
>> re-install of your system.
>> With the program 'autostreamer'
>> (http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html) you can make a 'new
>> version' of your original Windows XP cd, with SP2 already integrated. So
>> during your next install SP2 will already be installed (and USB also).
>>
>> With SP2 come the right USB drivers. But if it still doesn't work after
>> installing SP2, you could try deleting the USB ports from the device
>> manager. Windows recognises them and re-installs them at the next
>> startup.
>>
>> Re-reading your original message, it could also still be a problem with
>> the Epson drivers by the way (or something entirely different). Cause you
>> say you sometimes get errors, not all the time. So the USB ports do
>> work...
>>
>> --
>> Martin
>> The Netherlands
>>

>> "Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> schreef in bericht
>>> Thanks Martin, I am downloading SP2 as we "speak". It's a big file
>>> though
>>> (75MB). I got an error message about 10% into the download and now it
>>> just
>>> keeps going with the download whenever I'm online (56k only I'm afraid).
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> "Martin" <nospam@nospam.nl> wrote in message

>>> should

OK, thanks for all your help

Monica Pasqualotto wrote:
> Thanks Peter. It sounds like I may now have the correct drivers installed
> since I installed SP2 (about 1 hour ago) , however the controllers and hubs
> still state standard so I think as you say it may be that Nvidia don't have
> IDs in their drivers. A couple of questions for you though:
> 1) I understand that you can tell that you are running at USB 2 speeds but
> how can you be sure that you are using the nvidia drivers and not the
> microsoft ones?
> 2) how can I tell which manufacturer I have for the USB chipset as I believe
> Asus used different manufacturers for the same board.
>
> Thanks in advance

There are not really any drivers to install for USB controllers in
Windows XP, they all use the same drivers (UHCI or OHCI for USB 1.1 and
EHCI for USB 2.0) that are part of the OS. I'm not really familiar with
how NVIDIA does it, but in some cases if you install the chipset's
drivers they will show up as that manufacturer's controller, but that
doesn't really change anything as the driver is still the same, only the
displayed name really changes.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada