Windows Media Player 9

Download and reinstall?

"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:02a401c46dea$69af0870$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Windows Media Player will not start, any suggestions

I have same problem after re-installing. Note that this issue did not come up until I upgraded RealPlayer about a month ago. RealPlayer is not uninstalled.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Does it give you an error? Does it just hang or just never appear? Try
> reinstalling it from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> John wrote:
> > Windows Media Player will not start, any suggestions

I highly recommend scrapping Real Player even if it doesn't fix the
problem. That program is bloatware and poorly designed. I refuse to
let it on my system and if a file is in RM format, I just won't watch
it. It is possible that it changed settings for WMP and screwed it up,
but unlikely. I can garuntee Real Player tries to take over all media
formats, but that won't prevent WMP from starting either. Is DirectX up
to date and does RealPlayer actually work?

----
Nathan McNulty