Will I get roaming charges with GAIT?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 27, 2004 11:20:40 PM

I'm a little confused about this whole GAIT thing. From what I've read,
it seems like even though the coverage area with a GAIT phone is huge,
I'll still get hit with roaming charges if I go outside of an official
Cingular coverage area, even if I have a plan in which roaming and long
distance charges are included. True or false?

-Brian

More about : roaming charges gait

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 11:48:07 PM

In article
<bbernarWOOOAHdini-2E083A.19204027062004@text-east.newsfeeds.com>,
Brian Bernardini <bbernarWOOOAHdini@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm a little confused about this whole GAIT thing. From what I've read,
> it seems like even though the coverage area with a GAIT phone is huge,
> I'll still get hit with roaming charges if I go outside of an official
> Cingular coverage area, even if I have a plan in which roaming and long
> distance charges are included. True or false?

No.

With a nation GAIT plan, you have a phone that can handle multiple
technologies, AND a plan for which there is no roaming--period.

So your area for making a call that's covered by your plan is HUGE.

Every call made from anywhere there's an available signal is covered by
your plan.

Pretty much, with Cingular's nation GAIT plan, if there's a signal then
it's yours to take. If it's daytime, it's part of your anytime minutes;
if it's night or weekend, it's part of that bucket.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 11:59:40 PM

In article <elmop-2E569D.19480727062004@text.usenetserver.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> In article
> <bbernarWOOOAHdini-2E083A.19204027062004@text-east.newsfeeds.com>,
> Brian Bernardini <bbernarWOOOAHdini@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm a little confused about this whole GAIT thing. From what I've read,
> > it seems like even though the coverage area with a GAIT phone is huge,
> > I'll still get hit with roaming charges if I go outside of an official
> > Cingular coverage area, even if I have a plan in which roaming and long
> > distance charges are included. True or false?
>
> No.
>
> With a nation GAIT plan, you have a phone that can handle multiple
> technologies, AND a plan for which there is no roaming--period.
>
> So your area for making a call that's covered by your plan is HUGE.
>
> Every call made from anywhere there's an available signal is covered by
> your plan.
>
> Pretty much, with Cingular's nation GAIT plan, if there's a signal then
> it's yours to take. If it's daytime, it's part of your anytime minutes;
> if it's night or weekend, it's part of that bucket.

Cool. Too bad the phones aren't anything to write home about.

June 28, 2004 6:57:33 PM

In article
<bbernarWOOOAHdini-B5ACDA.19594027062004@text-east.newsfeeds.com>,
Brian Bernardini <bbernarWOOOAHdini@comcast.net> wrote:

> > Pretty much, with Cingular's nation GAIT plan, if there's a signal then
> > it's yours to take. If it's daytime, it's part of your anytime minutes;
> > if it's night or weekend, it's part of that bucket.
>
> Cool. Too bad the phones aren't anything to write home about.

yeah, tell me about it.

Face it: the phone companies don't want GAIT. They want anything that
isn't GSM to die.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 9:44:51 PM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:57:33 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>> Cool. Too bad the phones aren't anything to write home about.
>
>yeah, tell me about it.
>
>Face it: the phone companies don't want GAIT. They want anything that
>isn't GSM to die.

Well, maybe the GSM carriers are, but the general trend is the
complete abolishment of AMPS capable phones. The carriers can't wait
until they can turn those analog channels off.
!