Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Win 7 or Win Home Server

Last response: in Windows 7
October 29, 2009 4:28:45 PM

Which is the better option for adding network back up and media playing capabilities to my home network?

Upgrading one system to Windows Home Server, or upgrading all three systems to Windows 7 Ultimate?

Currently I have a notebook running Vista Home Premium and two desktops running XP Professional (Which apparently doesn’t allow back up over the network, or maybe it was the Vista that didn’t allow it, I can’t recall.). I will be adding another PC to act as a Media Center/HTPC. If I buy it, it will have Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed. If I build it, I can choose the OS. I will have to add high capacity hard drives to at least one system to act as the backup server.

More about : win win home server

Best solution

October 29, 2009 5:41:03 PM

I can't speak for Home Server but running a desktop and a notebook, I find that Win7 ultimate is great for home networking - backing up files (folder sync) and media playing capabilities (playing files from another computer's HDD I assume you mean?)
October 29, 2009 5:49:38 PM

Thanks for that input. I'm going to have to figure out why I'm on the UK version of Tom's. I'm apparently on the UK version of FireFox as well. Not a problem, just curious how that happened. Now where did they put those options?
Related resources
October 29, 2009 5:56:02 PM

BlueCat57 said:
Thanks for that input. I'm going to have to figure out why I'm on the UK version of Tom's. I'm apparently on the UK version of FireFox as well. Not a problem, just curious how that happened. Now where did they put those options?

I have home server and let me tell, its awesome. There are a lot of add ons available and the no fuss no muss backups are awesome. Home server gives you remote access, easy web site set up to share photos and more. I usually remote into the server from work to sync up music files. Very cool stuff. I haven't really had any complaints about WHS. Under the hood it is really Windows Small Business Server. It will say this on install. There is MUCH you can do with WHS, I am only scratching the surface here. It sits in the corner of my bedroom with just the power cord and network cable. When I need to get into it I just use remote desktop. A lot of stuff to like here.

Windows 7 has its own benefits. like being able to watch AVCHD video in Windows media player without any encoding needed. I had issues with drivers but I would expect that with a new OS.
October 29, 2009 5:56:18 PM

Localisation options are on the right of the page -- click the UK flag and then select whatever country you want.

If by UK version of Firefox you mean spelling, you can just change that in the options tab.
October 29, 2009 6:15:16 PM

farcear said:
Localisation options are on the right of the page -- click the UK flag and then select whatever country you want.

If by UK version of Firefox you mean spelling, you can just change that in the options tab.

Thanks for that info. I hadn't looked around Tom's for that option.

When I installed FireFox the default search engine that come up was Yahoo! UK. I use a lot of Yahoo! apps but didn't set that as default. That's why I commented that I have a UK version of FireFox. I've never looked into where Mozilla is based so maybe that's just the default. I know how to change that but just haven't done it.
October 29, 2009 8:14:20 PM

Home Server is sweet and easy, works well with Win 7 - Get BOTH!
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2009 9:39:49 PM

Depending on what hardware,etc you have a Linux distro aimed at HTPC may be a choice for you, esp. if on a budget.
November 28, 2009 2:15:07 PM

Eventhough this has been resolved I have another question that would be appropriate to add to this thread to help others that might read it.

As I continued to read about Windows Home Server vs. Windows 7 I saw that Windows Home Server duplicates file folders when it backs up information. I'm not sure how Win 7 handles this over a network.

I plan to use RAID 1 to protect the data once it is backed up to the server. And possibly an online back up service for off site storage.

Maybe there is a better place to discuss how the different OS handle back ups, but the answer would help someone trying to decide between these two OS.
!