Unable to format my 4gb pendrive

ronok736

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I have a Twinmos 4 gb pendrive.When i insert it , a window open showing " You need to format the Disk before you can use it". but when i select to format .it says "Windows cant format it.Make sure the disk is not read only" . I am using Windows 8.It doesnt have that Registry Editor " Write Protected". I have tried Dos Command,many software.But i have failed like always.Even It doesnt show in Disk Management.

What should i do?? Please Help me....

Does it have a manual sliding switch on the drive itself, set to write protect?

Try using it in another computer. If it doesn't work there either, possibilities are:
Corrupted flash chips on pen drive:

If the pen drive is not detected at all, or shows a less capacity, then there are high chances that its a chip corruption. Flash chips are the actual hardware components that save the data. A physical or electrical or electromagnetic damage to these chips make the pen drive faulty. This can happen because of voltage fluctuations and faulty USB ports. In such case, get the flash drive replaced if its under warranty as it can not be fixed otherwise.

Fake pen drives:

Sounds a bit un-believable but true. There are a lot of pen drives in the market which are of very cheap quality which are fake copies of some known brands. Beware of such pen-drives. Always purchase pen-drives or memory-cards from a reliable source with bill and warranty to avoid any mess later.