Cartridge question....

Hello world!

I have a question...since original HP cartridges are very expensive.....In
Israel they cost $10 more a piece ,than in the US.
Here it would cost $42 .And there's no way for sure to know when the ink is
completely ran out,except just to see it on a paper (fading colors and
such)...so my question is:does it damage the PRINTER itself in some way to
use the cartridge till the end (even after getting low ink messeges)?

Thanks in advance,
Alon.

Alon Brodski wrote:
> Hello world!
>
> I have a question...since original HP cartridges are very
> expensive.....In Israel they cost $10 more a piece ,than in the US.
> Here it would cost $42 .And there's no way for sure to know when the
> ink is completely ran out,except just to see it on a paper (fading
> colors and such)...so my question is:does it damage the PRINTER
> itself in some way to use the cartridge till the end (even after
> getting low ink messeges)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alon.

Answered in alt.comp.hardware. Please do *NOT* multi-post. It makes more
work for those of us who monitor more than one group. Cross-post if you
must, but make sure you list the groups you're cross-posting to (3 or 4
pertinent groups at the most - don't post to half of Usenet).

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

No, I do it all the time with my older HP952C. The reason the HP cartridges
are more expensive than some others is that the printheads are contained in
the cartridges, and are therefore replaced each time. Some other brands
have the printheads built into the printer, and the cartridges are only
tanks.

Don

"Alon Brodski" <abrodski@delete.012.net.il> wrote in message
> Hello world!
>
> I have a question...since original HP cartridges are very expensive.....In
> Israel they cost $10 more a piece ,than in the US.
> Here it would cost $42 .And there's no way for sure to know when the ink
is
> completely ran out,except just to see it on a paper (fading colors and
> such)...so my question is:does it damage the PRINTER itself in some way to
> use the cartridge till the end (even after getting low ink messeges)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alon.

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

x-no-archive: yes
this is so weird .. (but good weird <G>) .. I've got an HP psc 2210 and
it started showing low level in the color..and I thought I'd try keeping
on using it ..so far I've been printing away..(it ever started telling
me it is OUT of ink) and it's still printing color as good as ever. No
faded color or anything. I finally changed it but I still din't have to
... go figure.

"Alon Brodski" <abrodski@delete.012.net.il> wrote in message
> Hello world!
>
> I have a question...since original HP cartridges are very expensive.....In
> Israel they cost $10 more a piece ,than in the US.
> Here it would cost $42 .And there's no way for sure to know when the ink is
> completely ran out,except just to see it on a paper (fading colors and
> such)...so my question is:does it damage the PRINTER itself in some way to
> use the cartridge till the end (even after getting low ink messeges)?

You do not mention which printer model you have, but for the DeskJet series
printers and other HP printers with the printhead and ink integrated into a
single cartridge the answer is: go ahead and use up all the ink. You may
print until one (or all) the colors are empty without damaging the printer.
The low on ink indicator in these printers is there to let you know you are
getting low on ink and may want to have a replacement on hand for when the ink
finally does run out.

Regards,
Microsoft Printing/Imaging MVP

joel

"Alon Brodski" <abrodski@delete.012.net.il> wrote:

> Hello world!
>
> I have a question...since original HP cartridges are very expensive.....In
> Israel they cost $10 more a piece ,than in the US.
> Here it would cost $42 .And there's no way for sure to know when the ink is
> completely ran out,except just to see it on a paper (fading colors and
> such)...so my question is:does it damage the PRINTER itself in some way to
> use the cartridge till the end (even after getting low ink messeges)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alon.

HP printers have the printhead built to the ink cartridge so if the
printhead is damaged you can replace the cartridge with newer one and you
will have a newer print-head.

HP isn't my main printer but I do have HP Photo Printer 1350 (I believe),
and I refill the cartridge to save money.