Hardware there, but not there

All of a sudden with out warning both my CD and DVD burners went missing. They are still in the PC, but not recognized. They come up as device driver is installed but it cant find the hardware. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but is still does not recognize the hardware. When I take off the connection I don't get any errors. When I reconnect I get errors....Can't find the hardware. Any suggestions would be great.
1 answer Last reply
More about hardware there there

    Wow, that is a confusing post.

    I am going to try to see if I can figure out what you are talking about.
    You booted up your computer today and noticed that the CD and DVD
    Burners were not in My Computer anymore? And you opened Device Manager
    and they were there? What do you mean by you installed and uninstalled?
    You tried removing them from the Device Manager maybe? You have to be
    more clear.

    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    dbletrbl wrote:
    > All of a sudden with out warning both my CD and DVD burners went missing. They are still in the PC, but not recognized. They come up as device driver is installed but it cant find the hardware. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but is still does not recognize the hardware. When I take off the connection I don't get any errors. When I reconnect I get errors....Can't find the hardware. Any suggestions would be great.

Hardware Microsoft Device Driver Windows XP