Auto run.. different prob... :-)

Hi.. I'm running XP.. have read lots of msg's but they
don't seem specific to my prob..My pc doesn't have BIOS
installed, for some reason, but it never has, so that
hasn't caused the prob.. I followed link to Kellys
Korner, but system shows auto-run already on automatic!
CD-Rom, and CD-RW/DVD worked fine, but now don't auto-
run.. at the same time that stopped working, I couldn't
record to disc from windows.. it stopped recognising
there was a disc inserted, although if I physically open
the drive, I can run a program manually! I started to
copy to disc through Media player(9) instead, and can do
data and audio just fine.. plays back ok too, on Media
player, but I can no longer play those recorded audio
CD's in a regular CD player... even the blank discs are
the same that I always used... sorry this post is so
long, but I wanted to be sure I got everything! Please
help?? Thanx. :-)
2 answers Last reply
More about auto prob

    "Catherine" <caffmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi.. I'm running XP.. have read lots of msg's but they
    > don't seem specific to my prob..My pc doesn't have BIOS
    > installed, for some reason, but it never has, so that
    > hasn't caused the prob.. I followed link to Kellys
    > Korner, but system shows auto-run already on automatic!
    > CD-Rom, and CD-RW/DVD worked fine, but now don't auto-
    > run.. at the same time that stopped working, I couldn't
    > record to disc from windows.. it stopped recognising
    > there was a disc inserted, although if I physically open
    > the drive, I can run a program manually! I started to
    > copy to disc through Media player(9) instead, and can do
    > data and audio just fine.. plays back ok too, on Media
    > player, but I can no longer play those recorded audio
    > CD's in a regular CD player... even the blank discs are
    > the same that I always used... sorry this post is so
    > long, but I wanted to be sure I got everything! Please
    > help?? Thanx. :-)

    Is your question about autorun, or about recording CDs,
    or about playing recorded CDs in a regulard CD player?
    Are you using CD-Rs, or CD-RWs?

    Also: What makes you think that you don't have a BIOS?
    Seeing that the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is
    responsible for the initial startup of your system, it is
    rather unlikely that you don't have one.

    OK, instead of trying to figure out what you are talking about, I'm
    going to give you universal advice. First, your computer does have a
    BIOS. You don't install it, it isn't software, it is built into your
    motherboard and you see it work every time you press the power button
    (where it counts your memory, lists your drives, etc., and may appear
    behind whatever OEM Logo, such as Dell or HP, that shows up).

    Try this to fix your problems:

    Put your Windows XP CD into the CD ROM drive. Restart your computer and
    press the del key (or try F1 or F2 as well). Press all of these right
    after Windows exits and keep pressing them each while cycling between
    them as fast as you can until the BIOS shows up. This should appear as
    a list of options, system time, or a page of information. Do NOT change
    anything in here except this: Look for something called Boot Sequence or
    Boot Order or something similar to this. Once you find it, change it so
    the CD-ROM drive is the first one in that list. Now exit the BIOS while
    SAVING changes. That option should be easy to find. Now the computer
    will reboot and boot off your Windows XP CD. Now choose to INSTALL, it
    will find your existing Windows and offer to REPAIR, press R when
    prompted to Repair (NOT Recovery Console). Windows should fix itself and
    reboot. Once you have done this, remove the Windows XP CD and let the
    computer boot back into Windows. If everything works alright, go back
    into the BIOS the same way and change the harddrive to the first item.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Pegasus wrote:
    > "Catherine" <caffmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi.. I'm running XP.. have read lots of msg's but they
    >>don't seem specific to my prob..My pc doesn't have BIOS
    >>installed, for some reason, but it never has, so that
    >>hasn't caused the prob.. I followed link to Kellys
    >>Korner, but system shows auto-run already on automatic!
    >>CD-Rom, and CD-RW/DVD worked fine, but now don't auto-
    >>run.. at the same time that stopped working, I couldn't
    >>record to disc from windows.. it stopped recognising
    >>there was a disc inserted, although if I physically open
    >>the drive, I can run a program manually! I started to
    >>copy to disc through Media player(9) instead, and can do
    >>data and audio just fine.. plays back ok too, on Media
    >>player, but I can no longer play those recorded audio
    >>CD's in a regular CD player... even the blank discs are
    >>the same that I always used... sorry this post is so
    >>long, but I wanted to be sure I got everything! Please
    >>help?? Thanx. :-)
    >

    > Is your question about autorun, or about recording CDs,
    > or about playing recorded CDs in a regulard CD player?
    > Are you using CD-Rs, or CD-RWs?
    >
    > Also: What makes you think that you don't have a BIOS?
    > Seeing that the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is
    > responsible for the initial startup of your system, it is
    > rather unlikely that you don't have one.

CD-Rom Windows XP