cannot connect to router after batch of crit. updates

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Anyone have ideas?!?! I ran a batch of critical updates a couple of days ago, since then the PC (xphomeedition) can not connect to the web when plugged into *either* my linksys router or my airport base station. It CAN connect if I plug the cable modem directly into the box. Any ideas as to what might be the root cause and/or what can be done to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

G

First off, you MUST configure your router before you can use it. I am
going to assume that you did have it configured since you were using it
to download the updates. That means that something on your computer has
changed, not the router.

Do you have a firewall set up on your computer that may be blocking
access to the router? Also, can you actually access the router by its
IP address or does that not even work? What settings do you have for
your LAN connection? Make sure that it is all set properly as maybe
something was changed.

----
Nathan McNulty

troubledinmaine wrote:
> Anyone have ideas?!?! I ran a batch of critical updates a couple of days ago, since then the PC (xphomeedition) can not connect to the web when plugged into *either* my linksys router or my airport base station. It CAN connect if I plug the cable modem directly into the box. Any ideas as to what might be the root cause and/or what can be done to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

G

Hi Nathan. I higher on the learning curve than my post may have implied (though I've horrid gaps, on occasion). The router(s) are configured and work with all other machines in the house. This machine worked fine *until* the MS update was installed. I've run Network Diagnostics and found that both the DHCPServer and the DNSServerSearchOrder calls have failed (which I expected, based on what it seems to be doine).

What I am hoping is that you, or someone else will have run into this problem before, that of an MS update stomping on this area!?!? FWIW, first thing I did was kill the firewall, so that is not the cause. Ideas???

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> First off, you MUST configure your router before you can use it. I am
> going to assume that you did have it configured since you were using it
> to download the updates. That means that something on your computer has
> changed, not the router.
>
> Do you have a firewall set up on your computer that may be blocking
> access to the router? Also, can you actually access the router by its
> IP address or does that not even work? What settings do you have for
> your LAN connection? Make sure that it is all set properly as maybe
> something was changed.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
>
> troubledinmaine wrote:
> > Anyone have ideas?!?! I ran a batch of critical updates a couple of days ago, since then the PC (xphomeedition) can not connect to the web when plugged into *either* my linksys router or my airport base station. It CAN connect if I plug the cable modem directly into the box. Any ideas as to what might be the root cause and/or what can be done to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
>