Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP Pro sees 200Gb SATA HD as 136Gb and BIOS as 200Gb

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 2:54:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I just installed new WD2000JD SATA Caviar 200Gb HD on my PC. (9 months old).
I also upgraded the bios so the BIOS sees the disk correctly as 200Gb. While
installing windows it says that I have only 136Gb HD. After the installation
windows explorer reported as 200Gb but after restart the chkdsk kik-up and
staffed all the installation. It found a lot of bad sectors ... When I put
this disk as data disk without windows booting from it - it is working
correctly. (with windows from second HD).



From that I understand that the problem is with windows. So my question is
what to do???



Tx in advance



JR
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 2:54:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

Try selecting "LBA" in the BIOS for the logical map of the drive BEFORE you
install the windows O/S. This should solve the "missing sector" problems.

Andor


"John Ross" <fafot@internode.net.au> wrote in message
news:%23Y1bqilbEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I just installed new WD2000JD SATA Caviar 200Gb HD on my PC. (9 months
old).
> I also upgraded the bios so the BIOS sees the disk correctly as 200Gb.
While
> installing windows it says that I have only 136Gb HD. After the
installation
> windows explorer reported as 200Gb but after restart the chkdsk kik-up and
> staffed all the installation. It found a lot of bad sectors ... When I
put
> this disk as data disk without windows booting from it - it is working
> correctly. (with windows from second HD).
>
>
>
> From that I understand that the problem is with windows. So my question is
> what to do???
>
>
>
> Tx in advance
>
>
>
> JR
>
>
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 4:50:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Tx
JR

"Andor J Kiss" <akiss@life.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
news:o $FMsulbEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Try selecting "LBA" in the BIOS for the logical map of the drive BEFORE
you
> install the windows O/S. This should solve the "missing sector" problems.
>
> Andor
>
>
> "John Ross" <fafot@internode.net.au> wrote in message
> news:%23Y1bqilbEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > I just installed new WD2000JD SATA Caviar 200Gb HD on my PC. (9 months
> old).
> > I also upgraded the bios so the BIOS sees the disk correctly as 200Gb.
> While
> > installing windows it says that I have only 136Gb HD. After the
> installation
> > windows explorer reported as 200Gb but after restart the chkdsk kik-up
and
> > staffed all the installation. It found a lot of bad sectors ... When I
> put
> > this disk as data disk without windows booting from it - it is working
> > correctly. (with windows from second HD).
> >
> >
> >
> > From that I understand that the problem is with windows. So my question
is
> > what to do???
> >
> >
> >
> > Tx in advance
> >
> >
> >
> > JR
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 4:50:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

One other reason could be that you don't have Service Pack 1 installed
and it shows up after you install Service Pack 1. You do need LBA
turned on in the BIOS, but I am going to assume it was already on or
your HD wouldn't have appeared as the full size in the BIOS. Windows XP
without a Service Pack will show a maximum of 137GB. Installing Service
Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (Beta) will show the full size of the harddrive
and allow you to use it.

----
Nathan McNulty


John Ross wrote:
> Tx
> JR
>
> "Andor J Kiss" <akiss@life.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
> news:o $FMsulbEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Try selecting "LBA" in the BIOS for the logical map of the drive BEFORE
>
> you
>
>>install the windows O/S. This should solve the "missing sector" problems.
>>
>>Andor
>>
>>
>>"John Ross" <fafot@internode.net.au> wrote in message
>>news:%23Y1bqilbEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>I just installed new WD2000JD SATA Caviar 200Gb HD on my PC. (9 months
>>
>>old).
>>
>>>I also upgraded the bios so the BIOS sees the disk correctly as 200Gb.
>>
>>While
>>
>>>installing windows it says that I have only 136Gb HD. After the
>>
>>installation
>>
>>>windows explorer reported as 200Gb but after restart the chkdsk kik-up
>
> and
>
>>>staffed all the installation. It found a lot of bad sectors ... When I
>>
>>put
>>
>>>this disk as data disk without windows booting from it - it is working
>>>correctly. (with windows from second HD).
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>From that I understand that the problem is with windows. So my question
>
> is
>
>>>what to do???
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Tx in advance
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>JR
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!