Windows XP Pro sees 200Gb SATA HD as 136Gb and BIOS as 200Gb

I just installed new WD2000JD SATA Caviar 200Gb HD on my PC. (9 months old).
I also upgraded the bios so the BIOS sees the disk correctly as 200Gb. While
installing windows it says that I have only 136Gb HD. After the installation
windows explorer reported as 200Gb but after restart the chkdsk kik-up and
staffed all the installation. It found a lot of bad sectors ... When I put
this disk as data disk without windows booting from it - it is working
correctly. (with windows from second HD).

From that I understand that the problem is with windows. So my question is
what to do???

Tx in advance

JR

Hi,

Try selecting "LBA" in the BIOS for the logical map of the drive BEFORE you
install the windows O/S. This should solve the "missing sector" problems.

Andor

"John Ross" <fafot@internode.net.au> wrote in message
> I just installed new WD2000JD SATA Caviar 200Gb HD on my PC. (9 months
old).
> I also upgraded the bios so the BIOS sees the disk correctly as 200Gb.
While
> installing windows it says that I have only 136Gb HD. After the
installation
> windows explorer reported as 200Gb but after restart the chkdsk kik-up and
> staffed all the installation. It found a lot of bad sectors ... When I
put
> this disk as data disk without windows booting from it - it is working
> correctly. (with windows from second HD).
>

> From that I understand that the problem is with windows. So my question is
> what to do???
>

> Tx in advance
>

> JR

Tx
JR

"Andor J Kiss" <akiss@life.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Try selecting "LBA" in the BIOS for the logical map of the drive BEFORE
you
> install the windows O/S. This should solve the "missing sector" problems.
>
> Andor
>

> "John Ross" <fafot@internode.net.au> wrote in message
> > I just installed new WD2000JD SATA Caviar 200Gb HD on my PC. (9 months
> old).
> > I also upgraded the bios so the BIOS sees the disk correctly as 200Gb.
> While
> > installing windows it says that I have only 136Gb HD. After the
> installation
> > windows explorer reported as 200Gb but after restart the chkdsk kik-up
and
> > staffed all the installation. It found a lot of bad sectors ... When I
> put
> > this disk as data disk without windows booting from it - it is working
> > correctly. (with windows from second HD).
> >

> > From that I understand that the problem is with windows. So my question
is
> > what to do???
> >

> > Tx in advance
> >

> > JR

One other reason could be that you don't have Service Pack 1 installed
and it shows up after you install Service Pack 1. You do need LBA
turned on in the BIOS, but I am going to assume it was already on or
your HD wouldn't have appeared as the full size in the BIOS. Windows XP
without a Service Pack will show a maximum of 137GB. Installing Service
Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (Beta) will show the full size of the harddrive
and allow you to use it.

----
Nathan McNulty