How may SATA per channel?

Can anyone tell me how many SATA hard drives I can connet
to each channel. Some people told me only one SATA drive
can be connected to each channel on the motherboard, but
others say up to eight drives. What's the real number?
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about sata channel

    Read the User's Guide for your specific model motherboard.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Safa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | Can anyone tell me how many SATA hard drives I can connet
    | to each channel. Some people told me only one SATA drive
    | can be connected to each channel on the motherboard, but
    | others say up to eight drives. What's the real number?
    | Thanks

    Thanks for the reply and suggested websites.
    Safa

    HI Carey
    Does this mean then, the number of SATA drives per
    channel is dependent on the type of motherboard?
    Safa

    The "some people" are correct the "others" are wrong. You can read all
    about it at this link to an Adaptec article:
    http://tinyurl.com/6z6p9

    "Safa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how many SATA hard drives I can connet
    > to each channel. Some people told me only one SATA drive
    > can be connected to each channel on the motherboard, but
    > others say up to eight drives. What's the real number?
    > Thanks

Hardware SATA Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP