P4P800S 2 CPU's?

I got a new Asus P4P800S motherboard installed with WinXp, in the device
manager of Windows it shows 2 P4 CPU's installed, this is obviously wrong
since the board doent support dual CPU's.
For what reason does this show up like that? Any info would be appriciated,
thanks.

On 26 Dec 2004, TheJouster wrote:

> I got a new Asus P4P800S motherboard installed with WinXp, in the
> device manager of Windows it shows 2 P4 CPU's installed, this is
> obviously wrong since the board doent support dual CPU's.
> For what reason does this show up like that? Any info would be
> appriciated, thanks.

You probably have a hyper threading cpu. Windows sees it as 2 cpus.

--
Alex Devlin

"I don't care who you want to speak to, or how far you came, or what you
have to offer. You CAN'T PARK HERE."

The P4 CPU that you are using uses Intel's HyperThreading, which means that
in some circumstances the processor can run two threads at the same time
thus roughly mimicking two processors in use.

--
DaveW