nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, I updraded a computer from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.
However the modem, network card, audio,video,game
controllers, and the display adapters would not work with
Windows 2000. However, during the installation of Windows
2000 it told me this and I was able to download the
correct drivers for it.

I am now wonerdering that if a computer was to go down it
would be good to know this information as a complete
reload of Windows from a boot disk would not tell me that
info. So, if Windows can tell you that information when
changing OS, is there a way of getting it to tell me now???

Thanks

Nick

Hello

Since you chanegd your OS you need to look at your
internal devices and go to each mfg website and look for drivers
that support your new OS

al

Nick wrote:

> Hi, I updraded a computer from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.
> However the modem, network card, audio,video,game
> controllers, and the display adapters would not work with
> Windows 2000. However, during the installation of Windows
> 2000 it told me this and I was able to download the
> correct drivers for it.
>
> I am now wonerdering that if a computer was to go down it
> would be good to know this information as a complete
> reload of Windows from a boot disk would not tell me that
> info. So, if Windows can tell you that information when
> changing OS, is there a way of getting it to tell me now???
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Mike

Splendid

It already has told you..

"Nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I updraded a computer from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.
> However the modem, network card, audio,video,game
> controllers, and the display adapters would not work with
> Windows 2000. However, during the installation of Windows
> 2000 it told me this and I was able to download the
> correct drivers for it.
>
> I am now wonerdering that if a computer was to go down it
> would be good to know this information as a complete
> reload of Windows from a boot disk would not tell me that
> info. So, if Windows can tell you that information when
> changing OS, is there a way of getting it to tell me now???
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Yea, but I am on about the specs for other PC. Sorry
should have made that clear.

Thanks

Mike

Splendid

If the 'other' pc was originally installed with XP, assume that there would
be no problems.. for any other OS, run the XP cd in whatever is installed
and pick the option 4 Compatibility.. this will tell you what drivers will
be needed, and also incompatible programs in use.. you then find drivers on
the net and save them to a cd..

> Yea, but I am on about the specs for other PC. Sorry
> should have made that clear.
>
> Thanks

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK then thanks

Just another quick question, do I do that on startup or
can I do it if the PC is logged on??? Do I just click
install and then that option 4(Compatability) comes up???

Sorry for bein a pain.

Thanks

Nick

Mike

Splendid

No pain at all.. with your computer up and running, place the XP cd in the
cd drive.. it should autostart and present you with a menu of four items..
the 4th is compatibility.. click on it and it will prompt you to connect to
the net.. this is not necessary.. at the end of its run, print out the
results..

> OK then thanks
>
> Just another quick question, do I do that on startup or
> can I do it if the PC is logged on??? Do I just click
> install and then that option 4(Compatability) comes up???
>
> Sorry for bein a pain.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

nick