HP 1220C problem initialising

Hi,

I have a HP1220c that is about 3 years old. Recently it is refusing to
work - most of the time.
Sometimes it can be persuaded to print and will then print fine for a while.
Once it has not done anything for a few hours it will be back to playing up
again!

When you turn it on it will sit there constantly
nudging the ink station wiper mechanism towards the back of the printer.
Having reached its limit it is still nudging the motor every 4 seconds or
so. At the same time the power light blinks off for a moment.

It was that behaviour that made me get a new motor for the ink station -
thinking it was not working right. (The mechanism moves easy enough)

After up to an hour of this it will either error out or move on to running
the paper feed roller and moving the print head back and forth.
In between doing this every 10 to 20 secs it will buzz from the ink station
motor.

After an hour or so of this it might decide to put the ink light on....after
which it might agree to print something. At least that's what usually
happens.

Once it works - everything works... ink station cleaning...paper pick up etc
no problems - it just does not last long.

Sorry for such a long ramble! If anyone recognises what wrong with it I'd
love to know about it. Even if it's terminal and it need to go in the waste
bin.

thanks

Robert.

"Robert Peacock" <Robert@NoSpaMahgroup.dircon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a HP1220c that is about 3 years old. Recently it is refusing to
> work - most of the time.
> Sometimes it can be persuaded to print and will then print fine for a
while.
> Once it has not done anything for a few hours it will be back to playing
up
> again!
>
> When you turn it on it will sit there constantly
> nudging the ink station wiper mechanism towards the back of the printer.
> Having reached its limit it is still nudging the motor every 4 seconds or
> so. At the same time the power light blinks off for a moment.
>
> It was that behaviour that made me get a new motor for the ink station -
> thinking it was not working right. (The mechanism moves easy enough)
>
> After up to an hour of this it will either error out or move on to running
> the paper feed roller and moving the print head back and forth.
> In between doing this every 10 to 20 secs it will buzz from the ink
station
> motor.
>
> After an hour or so of this it might decide to put the ink light
on....after
> which it might agree to print something. At least that's what usually
> happens.
>
> Once it works - everything works... ink station cleaning...paper pick up
etc
> no problems - it just does not last long.
>
> Sorry for such a long ramble! If anyone recognises what wrong with it I'd
> love to know about it. Even if it's terminal and it need to go in the
waste
> bin.
>
> thanks
>
> Robert.

If you want I can email u the service manual for this printer

Martin

"Marty1a" <msmbus@nospamtiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> If you want I can email u the service manual for this printer
>
> Martin

I have it thanks. Downloaded it from a ftp when I first had problems. Hasn't
helped a great deal - but at least I know how to take it apart.

It is working again at the moment. No idea if it will still work tomorrow!

I removed the encoder strip, cleaned it of ink residue and blew out the
print head where the strip goes through. That made it decide to work - but
then I've thought it fixed before...

> "Marty1a" <msmbus@nospamtiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >

> > If you want I can email u the service manual for this printer
> >
> > Martin
> >

> I have it thanks. Downloaded it from a ftp when I first had problems.
Hasn't
> helped a great deal - but at least I know how to take it apart.
>
> It is working again at the moment. No idea if it will still work tomorrow!
>
> I removed the encoder strip, cleaned it of ink residue and blew out the
> print head where the strip goes through. That made it decide to work - but
> then I've thought it fixed before...

The last time I had my 1220c fixed by HP with was the paper jam fitting at
the back that was causing the problems - you could try cleaning it out and
re locking it into place

Martin

reg

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Martin,

Can I obtain a copy of the service manaul you have for my own 1220C
printer, or a link to same?

Thank you very much.

Cheers: Reg

--
If you really do put a small value
upon yourself, rest assured that

"Reg" <r.coulter@saskNOSPAMtel.net> wrote in message
> Martin,
>
> Can I obtain a copy of the service manaul you have for my own 1220C
> printer, or a link to same?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Cheers: Reg
>
> --
> If you really do put a small value
> upon yourself, rest assured that
> the world will not raise the price.

I got it from a Google search - which led me to
http://fixyourownprinter.com/printer/10/9249.html

2/3rds the way down is a info to a ftp site.

If you are not ftp savvy click this ftp://ftp.nc-electronico.com in IE and
put in the user / pass from the webpage. The site still connects - don't
know if the manual is still there though.

HTH

Robert.

"Reg" <r.coulter@saskNOSPAMtel.net> wrote in message
> Martin,
>
> Can I obtain a copy of the service manaul you have for my own 1220C
> printer, or a link to same?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Cheers: Reg
>
> --
> If you really do put a small value
> upon yourself, rest assured that
> the world will not raise the price.

If you still need the manual = email me at m.moorhead2003nospam@virgin.net

watch out for the spam trap

Martin

reg

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Martin,

Thank you. I was able to locate the manual this am.

Cheers: Reg