Ad Hoc wireless mode

I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I can
use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a wireless
PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a wireless
connection between my PC and my printer.

I'd appreciate someone's input.

THX

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

"tcahill" <tcahill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
> wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
> can
> use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
> wireless
> PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
> correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
> wireless
> connection between my PC and my printer.
>
> I'd appreciate someone's input.
>
> THX

I use a D-Link DP311P wireless print server.
I just checked the wireless settings and one of the settings is Ad Hoc Peer
to Peer, so with this model it should be possible, but I use a wireless
router for my network and have never checked to see if Ad Hoc mode works.

Greetings,

Barb Bowman has written a page on how to create an Ad Hoc wireles network
without a router. Please see the following link.

Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a Router

_________________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"tcahill" <tcahill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
> wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
> can
> use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
> wireless
> PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
> correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
> wireless
> connection between my PC and my printer.
>
> I'd appreciate someone's input.
>
> THX

Just to answer your question. YES you can.

"tcahill" <tcahill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
> wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
> can
> use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
> wireless
> PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
> correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
> wireless
> connection between my PC and my printer.
>
> I'd appreciate someone's input.
>
> THX

Thanks, I think I can figure out how to do it, I just wanted to make sure it
was possible before I started.

TC