I loaded XP home ed. @ 9 months ago. Since I installed
it, I have had a problem with the above drives. The
problem has now increased to the point the one or both
will be deleted when I boot up computer. If I have cd-
rom at boot up & try & install cd-rw, windows will delete
cd-rom. I can reinstall but now cannot install cd-rw.
Caught in a big loop. Can anyone help?

Jack, check here
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

"Jack Mac Kenzie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I loaded XP home ed. @ 9 months ago. Since I installed
> it, I have had a problem with the above drives. The
> problem has now increased to the point the one or both
> will be deleted when I boot up computer. If I have cd-
> rom at boot up & try & install cd-rw, windows will delete
> cd-rom. I can reinstall but now cannot install cd-rw.
> Caught in a big loop. Can anyone help?

Rich, thanx, that seemed to have worked, at least so far.