Problem with DVD and CD-ROM Drive

Hi, I'm a Windows XP user. I've been having a problem for several weeks. Whenever I want to play a DVD nothing happens. I try starting it manually by starting up Windows Media Player, but it's as if the computer couldn't read the DVD, or something. It also does this to only some of my CD-ROMs but I can play my music CDs on my computer without a problem. I've checked the DVDs and CD-ROMs for scratches but there just fine. What should I do?

Mike

Splendid

Get a program like PowerDVD if you want to play DVDs..

"Waldina" <Waldina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm a Windows XP user. I've been having a problem for several weeks.
Whenever I want to play a DVD nothing happens. I try starting it manually by
starting up Windows Media Player, but it's as if the computer couldn't read
the DVD, or something. It also does this to only some of my CD-ROMs but I
can play my music CDs on my computer without a problem. I've checked the
DVDs and CD-ROMs for scratches but there just fine. What should I do?

Mike is correct. You need a DVD Decoder installed on your computer in
order to watch DVDs. Windows does not have one natively. Also, any
other movies you try to watch may require an additional decoder
depending on how it was encoded. Usually, DVD ROM drives come with a
DVD Software program and sometimes so does your Video card. Check those
CD's and see if there is a WinDVD, PowerDVD, ATI DVD Player, nVidia
NVDVD, or anything like that on any of them.

----
Nathan McNulty