SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST

If one types "system failed cpu test" on any internet search one gets to
read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of years.

But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is a
small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite often,
sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality. There is
practically no technical support, because the whole shop is just to small to
afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.

I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm amazed by
the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.

My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and then
detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall in the
garage.

XZV
14 answers Last reply
More about system failed test

    s44 wrote:
    > If one types "system failed cpu test" on any internet search one gets to
    > read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of years.
    >
    > But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is a
    > small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    > apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite often,
    > sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality. There is
    > practically no technical support, because the whole shop is just to small to
    > afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.
    >
    > I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm amazed by
    > the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.
    >
    > My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
    > wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and then
    > detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall in the
    > garage.
    >

    > XZV

    Hmmmm.... I've used 3 boards (I'm still using the 3rd) and I haven't had
    ANY problems what so ever... Could be you have bad luck?

    s44 wrote:
    > If one types "system failed cpu test" on any internet search one gets to
    > read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of years.
    >
    > But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is a
    > small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    > apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite often,
    > sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality. There is
    > practically no technical support, because the whole shop is just to small to
    > afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.
    >
    > I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm amazed by
    > the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.
    >
    > My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
    > wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and then
    > detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall in the
    > garage.
    >

    > XZV

    Why don't you post system specs, and maybe I or some other knowledgable
    people in this ng can help you out.

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:44:36 -0500, Browser Joe <i.dont@think.so> wrote:
    >Why don't you post system specs, and maybe I or some other knowledgable
    >people in this ng can help you out.

    <gack!> Can't you just smell this troll?

    To call ASUS a "small" company is a dead giveaway of the clueless talking
    through his hat...

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:24:06 GMT, daytripper
    <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:44:36 -0500, Browser Joe <i.dont@think.so> wrote:
    >>Why don't you post system specs, and maybe I or some other knowledgable
    >>people in this ng can help you out.
    >
    > <gack!> Can't you just smell this troll?
    only a few miles away! :)

    >To call ASUS a "small" company is a dead giveaway of the clueless talking
    >through his hat...
    Yep for sure.
    Happy Holidays!
    Ed
    --
    1) Don't do any research, just buy parts that fit your budget.
    2) Throw away any manuals or included CDs.

    daytripper wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:44:36 -0500, Browser Joe <i.dont@think.so> wrote:
    >
    >>Why don't you post system specs, and maybe I or some other knowledgable
    >>people in this ng can help you out.
    >

    > <gack!> Can't you just smell this troll?
    >
    > To call ASUS a "small" company is a dead giveaway of the clueless talking
    > through his hat...

    Yeah, you're probably right.... That's gonna be my downfall someday, I
    give everyone the benefit of the doubt... Just ask my lousy inlaws! lol

    s44 wrote:
    > But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is a
    > small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    > apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite often,
    > sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality. There is
    > practically no technical support, because the whole shop is just to small to
    > afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.

    Um, you do realize that Asus is the largest manufacturer of motherboards
    in the world?

    Please, do yourself a favor in the future and don't go and make clueless
    posts like this without knowing what you're talking about, or giving any
    coherent description of a problem you're trying to solve..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

    my hit / miss ratio is 60/40...(for the good, but not that impressive
    for such a renowned MFG...

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:43:01 -0500, Browser Joe <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >s44 wrote:
    >> If one types "system failed cpu test" on any internet search one gets to
    >> read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of years.
    >>
    >> But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is a
    >> small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    >> apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite often,
    >> sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality. There is
    >> practically no technical support, because the whole shop is just to small to
    >> afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.
    >>
    >> I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm amazed by
    >> the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.
    >>
    >> My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
    >> wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and then
    >> detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall in the
    >> garage.
    >>

    >> XZV
    >>

    >Hmmmm.... I've used 3 boards (I'm still using the 3rd) and I haven't had
    >ANY problems what so ever... Could be you have bad luck?

    ñíñjà¤têç

    -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

    s44 wrote:
    > If one types "system failed cpu test" on any internet search one gets
    > read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of
    years.

    > But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS
    is a
    > small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    > apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite
    often,
    > sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality. There is

    > practically no technical support, because the whole shop is just to
    small to
    > afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.
    >
    > I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm
    amazed by
    > the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.
    >
    > My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
    > wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and
    then
    > detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall in
    the
    > garage.
    >

    > XZV

    I beg to differ. Asustek is not a "small taiwanese company that
    manufactures second class computer kits". It manufactures several
    hundred thousand motherboards a month and is the motherboard supplier
    to several major computer companies, such as HP. Both my ASUS boards
    have performed flawlessly.

    Arnie

    Hi,

    You need to get informed.

    1. Asus manufactures over 30,000,000 motherboards yearly last I read.
    2. Dell, HP, Compaq, Intel, you name the brand - have all used / continue to
    use asus motherboards.
    3. when you buy a motherboard and want premium support then pay for it. For
    most of us that *never* need support from asus, having to pay for an army of
    support people that speak hundreds of languages is not a good investment.
    4. Asus is suprisingly small. For the amount of product they design and make
    the head count is commendably small. Nevertheless this does not stop them
    from producing products which are equal to any out there. Just be careful -
    if you point at someone elses product it may have been made by asus.

    If you want help - as others have said, state your case clearly and you may
    be surprised by the quality of responses and effort made by those here.

    So, please post back, state the exact config you have: motherboard, version
    (its on a sticker on a PCI slot usually), bios version, memory size & make /
    model / timings, other hardware, PSU make, model and rating etc. Say what
    you have done, if the system has ever worked, what you have tried...

    Best wishes...

    "s44" <bdnosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > If one types "system failed cpu test" on any internet search one gets to
    > read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of years.
    >
    > But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is a
    > small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    > apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite
    > often, sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality. There
    > is practically no technical support, because the whole shop is just to
    > small to afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.
    >
    > I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm amazed by
    > the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.
    >
    > My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
    > wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and then
    > detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall in the
    > garage.
    >

    > XZV

    Many of you are implying that this fellows problems can be fixed the system
    builder. They cannot be. ASUS acknowledges that this a problem and are
    working on fixing it with BIOS changes. This is an excerpt from the BIOS
    notes for Ver 1013 for an A7N8X-E Deluxe.

    "Fixed Speech IC detect abnormal for CPU overclocking" There are several
    other related messages in this series.

    I have one of these boards, and installing BIOS 1013, still does not
    completely fix the problem. If there is a problem with the BIOS, no amount
    of work by the system builder is going to fix the problem.

    Ed wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:24:06 GMT, daytripper
    > <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:44:36 -0500, Browser Joe <i.dont@think.so> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why don't you post system specs, and maybe I or some other knowledgable
    >>>people in this ng can help you out.
    >>
    >><gack!> Can't you just smell this troll?
    >
    > only a few miles away! :)
    >
    >>To call ASUS a "small" company is a dead giveaway of the clueless talking
    >>through his hat...
    >
    > Yep for sure.
    > Happy Holidays!
    > Ed
    > --
    > 1) Don't do any research, just buy parts that fit your budget.
    > 2) Throw away any manuals or included CDs.
    > 3) Case stand-offs are for whimps, throw em away!
    > 4) Work in a carpeted area and wear wool socks, Do NOT ground yourself!
    > 4) Put CPU on the desk, bend a few pins, it's fun!
    > 5) Have at least one naked yellow or red wire touching the case.
    > 6) Set BIOS to manual mode and just go wild and change stuff, it's fun!
    > 7) If that doesn't work, Call DELL! :)

    I haven't had a good laugh in a while, Thanks!

    Ron

    Thats good then. But how do you know he has an A7N8X-E Deluxe?
    Steganography perhaps?

    I certainly made no promise about a fix. How could I when there are no
    details of the system?

    "Tiger" <Tiger@cat.com> wrote in message
    > Many of you are implying that this fellows problems can be fixed the
    > system builder. They cannot be. ASUS acknowledges that this a problem and
    > are working on fixing it with BIOS changes. This is an excerpt from the
    > BIOS notes for Ver 1013 for an A7N8X-E Deluxe.
    >
    > "Fixed Speech IC detect abnormal for CPU overclocking" There are several
    > other related messages in this series.
    >
    > I have one of these boards, and installing BIOS 1013, still does not
    > completely fix the problem. If there is a problem with the BIOS, no amount
    > of work by the system builder is going to fix the problem.
    >

    >> "s44" <bdnosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> If one types "system failed cpu test" on any internet search one gets to
    >>> read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of years.
    >>>
    >>> But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is
    >>> a small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    >>> apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite
    >>> often, sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality.
    >>> There is practically no technical support, because the whole shop is
    >>> just to small to afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.
    >>>
    >>> I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm amazed
    >>> by the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.
    >>>
    >>> My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
    >>> wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and
    >>> then detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall
    >>> in the garage.
    >>>

    >>> XZV

    I wish someone could help, but I do strongly believe that this is a defect
    that can only be cured by replacing that motherboard with one that works. I
    did mention that I've read a lot of messages from people with this problem
    who spent a lot of effort trying to fix it and no one suceeded. I had many
    devices of all sorts that had defects, but never dealt with a total wall of
    silence. I wrote email and called ASUS and there was zero response. The sign
    of a lousy company is when they tell you they'll call back, and when their
    web site doesn't work. I don't trust a fruitcake maker without a web site,
    but a computer-related company with a part-dead website?

    So everyone is welcome to help, but I don't hold my breath. I posted not to
    complain or even to get help, but to give a warning (community service) and
    express my amazement at a technology company that has no technical support.

    As to the actual nature of the defect, my personal guess is that due to the
    use of low quality parts the power supply to the CPU on the motherboard is
    failing. Most likely it's the use of garbage-quality electrolytic
    capacitors. In fact, it turns out it is not uncommon that these capacitors
    leak like used batteries on some of the motherboards assembled by these
    "famous makers from Taiwan". Several months after they leave their shop.

    So here it is:

    1. P4C800 Deluxe bought last year (2004).

    2. Runs a pentium 4 Northwood 3 Ghz/512/800 1.55 V max

    3. Is not running overclocked, but overclocks at least to 3.3

    4. Power supply is Inspire 500 W, but this is not relevant, since people
    describe exactly the same problem with all brands of power supplies
    including Antec, and others.

    5. Again, the same probem occurs in all sorts of configurations.

    6. The BIOS is the newest for this board, v. 1019. Upgrading the BIOS from
    older version did not do anything to this behavior.

    The problem is:

    The system halts at POST with the message "System failed CPU test". After
    recycling power, most of the time it starts normally. However, on occasion,
    need to repeat the power cycle. Recently even four times.

    Sometimes starts the first time.

    The problem did not occur for the first month or so. Now nearly every time.
    According to some people with this problem, it will get worse until no go.

    This occurs only at the first start of the day. After started, keeps
    running, and can be turned off and restarted without a problem.

    Happy New Year.

    XZV

    "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > You need to get informed.
    >
    > 1. Asus manufactures over 30,000,000 motherboards yearly last I read.
    > 2. Dell, HP, Compaq, Intel, you name the brand - have all used / continue
    > to use asus motherboards.
    > 3. when you buy a motherboard and want premium support then pay for it.
    > For most of us that *never* need support from asus, having to pay for an
    > army of support people that speak hundreds of languages is not a good
    > investment.
    > 4. Asus is suprisingly small. For the amount of product they design and
    > make the head count is commendably small. Nevertheless this does not stop
    > them from producing products which are equal to any out there. Just be
    > careful - if you point at someone elses product it may have been made by
    > asus.
    >
    > If you want help - as others have said, state your case clearly and you
    > may be surprised by the quality of responses and effort made by those
    > here.
    >
    > So, please post back, state the exact config you have: motherboard,
    > version (its on a sticker on a PCI slot usually), bios version, memory
    > size & make / model / timings, other hardware, PSU make, model and rating
    > etc. Say what you have done, if the system has ever worked, what you have
    > tried...
    >
    > Best wishes...
    >

    > "s44" <bdnosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> If one types "system failed cpu test" on any internet search one gets to
    >> read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of years.
    >>
    >> But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is
    >> a small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    >> apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite
    >> often, sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality. There
    >> is practically no technical support, because the whole shop is just to
    >> small to afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.
    >>
    >> I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm amazed
    >> by the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.
    >>
    >> My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
    >> wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and
    >> then detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall
    >> in the garage.
    >>

    >> XZV

    I had the same issue and replaced the board with another and it works fine.
    Try removing the CPU and reseating it first to see if that helps.

    Good Luck

> [...]
    >>> read a lot about ASUS wares. This is so for at least a couple of years.
    >>>
    >>> But if one then goes to ASUS web site, there is nothing on this. ASUS is
    >>> a small taiwanese company that manufactures second class computer kits
    >>> apparently mostly for kids. It turns out the stuff doesn't work quite
    >>> often, sometimes due to poor design, sometimes due to poor quality.
    >>> There is practically no technical support, because the whole shop is
    >>> just to small to afford it. Even their US web site does not quite work.
    >>>
    >>> I did not know all this before I bought one of their lemons. I'm amazed
    >>> by the lousy nature of this outfit compared to regular companies.
    >>>
    >>> My cash loss is of course negligible, but I wish I knew more on this
    >>> wonderful "brand" before spending my time attaching all the wires and
    >>> then detaching them again before hanging this great product on the wall

Asus CPUs Motherboards