"View Available Wireless Networks" Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
January 12, 2005 11:27:04 AM

I'm under Windows XP Professional.
Under "Wireless Network Connection" and "Network Tasks", I don't have the
option "View Available Wireless Networks". Do you know what do I have to do
to have this option?
Right now, I can't connect to any wireless network.

Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 12, 2005 5:39:38 PM

Dear sir/madam,

Please verify that the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service is started and
running by using the Computer Management application ( run "compmgmt.msc").
It should be, by default, first of all. Barring that, I believe the problem
may be related to the fact that the driver for your wireless card does not
identify itself as a wireless card per se, but rather as a traditional
ethernet device, which means that it is not the driver that you really want.
Please do the following, if you want to use the Windows Wireless Networking
Client. However, note that the manufacturer of your wireless card _may_
have given you a wireless client program to use with your card. You should
consult with the manufacturer to find out if they want you to use their
program, our use the one that comes with Windows. My guess is the latter,
but I don't like to assume on behalf of a customer.

To uninstall-re-install the driver for your wireless card do the following:
1. Uninstall the driver for this card - Using Device Manager (run
"devmgmt.msc")
2. Find the driver for this card that is specific for Windows XP
3. Install this driver
4. Go to the network connections folder and check for the "View Available
Networks" network task.

I hope this solves your problem.

--
Brian Wehrle