USB to RS232C adapter

I hav a Toshiba Satillite notebook with windows xp home
edition. I use a usb mouse with no problems. But I have
to use a Rs232 port to communicate with PLC's at the
plant. When I connect a belkin pda com port adapter my
systems hangs up and it is xp compatible. I installed xp
professional on the lap top and the usb to com port works
fine but my copy of professional is for another system
and I don't wont to buy another copy. So I need to find
out how to fix this problem and belkin has been no help
yet. So far I have dicovered it will work with xp home
edition on my northgate but when I exit the plc programs
it gives errors. It works fine on win 98, and
professional. Any help would be apriciated.

I guess you may still have to buy a new XP Pro. The drivers should work the
same with XP Home and Pro. However, it seems that your PLC application does
not like Home (this is where the problem comes from!)