modem waits 2 minutes after connect

My modem connects with ISP, handshakes, speed decided
upon (I am lucky and get 53.2Kbps, usually, because I am
near a phone switching station) and then must wait an
additional 2 minutes before I will connect with the
destination web site.

What gives? The wait is only for that first site, after
that everything is great.

Registry? Too much security (many graphic details no
longer show)?

help?

You posted this question twice in 10 minutes, starting two
threads. Be more patient.

Ask your ISP, it their server or their Internet connection
which is slow.

BTW, it is not a good idea to use a real email address when
you post on any newsgroup, the harvester bots will send you
spam and viruses.

Mixcom fwd'd to http://www.athenet.net/help/index.html which
I checked to their support page for you.

"Chuck C" <ccronan@mixcom.com> wrote in message
| My modem connects with ISP, handshakes, speed decided
| upon (I am lucky and get 53.2Kbps, usually, because I am
| near a phone switching station) and then must wait an
| additional 2 minutes before I will connect with the
| destination web site.
|
| What gives? The wait is only for that first site, after
| that everything is great.
|
| Registry? Too much security (many graphic details no
| longer show)?
|
| help?

I posted the second one because the first seemed lost.
Sorry. But the second one added that two different ISPs
did the same thing - its not them. I had a severe
hijacking virus attack and turned up my security really
high with a lot of anti-virus programs run before I found
5 infecting files. The 2 minute wait started around that
time. I fear its a registry setting that I may never
find.

Thanks for the hint on addresses.

You may have some Trojans or spyware still on the computer,
besides a virus scan, try SpyBot S&D 1.3
www.safer-networking.org

Good luck

"Chuck C." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0f8401c46ecb$460e3850$a601280a@phx.gbl...
| I posted the second one because the first seemed lost.
| Sorry. But the second one added that two different ISPs
| did the same thing - its not them. I had a severe
| hijacking virus attack and turned up my security really
| high with a lot of anti-virus programs run before I found
| 5 infecting files. The 2 minute wait started around that
| time. I fear its a registry setting that I may never
| find.
|
| Thanks for the hint on addresses.

| >|
| >| What gives? The wait is only for that first site,
| after
| >| that everything is great.
| >|
| >| Registry? Too much security (many graphic details no
| >| longer show)?
| >|
| >| help?
| >|