OK this is my situation i was having problems on my last computer with installing windows xp sp1. Because when i did my computer instantly was taking 5 to 10 minutes to boot up. I thought it was my cotroller card i was using for my sata hd. Well i bought a new cpu and mb w/ sata built into it. The only things that i kept was the hardrive and memory. I did a clean install on the new system and did not install anything else. I restarted to check how fast it rebooted, and it took about a minute. So with a clean system nothing extra on it to interfere with me putting sp1 on the computer, i installed service pack one. When i resarted my computer went back to taking 10 minutes to boot. And when i unistalled it sp1 it went back to taking a few minutes to boot. Now the last time i wrote this the people called me crazy but im not and i seriously am getting tired of Windows and its glitches. So if you could at least hint at what is going on it would help. Remember the only things i kept were my sata drive and my memory. So what is interfering with sp1? and which update in sp1 is it? And is there a way to download sp1 w/o that update?
--
thank you very much

When you installed XP, did you install a third party driver for the SATA
port?

SP1 has been known to have a memory alloction problem, which is supposed to
be fixed with SP2 (release some time between August to October???).

"narrowpath" <narrowpath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK this is my situation i was having problems on my last computer with
installing windows xp sp1. Because when i did my computer instantly was
taking 5 to 10 minutes to boot up. I thought it was my cotroller card i was
using for my sata hd. Well i bought a new cpu and mb w/ sata built into it.
The only things that i kept was the hardrive and memory. I did a clean
install on the new system and did not install anything else. I restarted to
check how fast it rebooted, and it took about a minute. So with a clean
system nothing extra on it to interfere with me putting sp1 on the computer,
i installed service pack one. When i resarted my computer went back to
taking 10 minutes to boot. And when i unistalled it sp1 it went back to
taking a few minutes to boot. Now the last time i wrote this the people
called me crazy but im not and i seriously am getting tired of Windows and
its glitches. So if you could at least hint at what is going on it would
help. Remember the only things i kept were my sata drive and my memory. So
what is interfering with sp1? and which update in sp1 is it? And is there a
way to download sp1 w/o that update?
> --
> thank you very much

see the thing is, is when i update to sp1 and i restart you can here my hard drive looking for something and it does that for a while. But before i update it does not do that. It will go throught the bios step really quick and as soon as it gets to my hardrive and i guess starts looking for the drivers for startup it takes like 10 minutes you hear it clicking and making funny noises til it gets all of the drivers. Now before i downloaded BootVis to see if my drivers where the problem, but it didn't help either. So my only guess is that sp1 has a conflict with my hardware i just cant figure out where or why. I dont have any third-party drivers for my hd and everyting works fine untill i install sp1. And what would my memory have to do with this?
--
thank you very much

--
thank you very much

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> When you installed XP, did you install a third party driver for the SATA
> port?
>
> SP1 has been known to have a memory alloction problem, which is supposed to
> be fixed with SP2 (release some time between August to October???).
>

> "narrowpath" <narrowpath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK this is my situation i was having problems on my last computer with
> installing windows xp sp1. Because when i did my computer instantly was
> taking 5 to 10 minutes to boot up. I thought it was my cotroller card i was
> using for my sata hd. Well i bought a new cpu and mb w/ sata built into it.
> The only things that i kept was the hardrive and memory. I did a clean
> install on the new system and did not install anything else. I restarted to
> check how fast it rebooted, and it took about a minute. So with a clean
> system nothing extra on it to interfere with me putting sp1 on the computer,
> i installed service pack one. When i resarted my computer went back to
> taking 10 minutes to boot. And when i unistalled it sp1 it went back to
> taking a few minutes to boot. Now the last time i wrote this the people
> called me crazy but im not and i seriously am getting tired of Windows and
> its glitches. So if you could at least hint at what is going on it would
> help. Remember the only things i kept were my sata drive and my memory. So
> what is interfering with sp1? and which update in sp1 is it? And is there a
> way to download sp1 w/o that update?
> > --
> > thank you very much

Mike

Splendid

Having installed SP1, the machine reboots and it does take a time for it to
make the changes necessary.. try removing peripheral devices other than
screen, keyboard and mouse, and see what it does then.. if all is well,
reconnect other devices one at a time..

> see the thing is, is when i update to sp1 and i restart you can here my
hard drive looking for something and it does that for a while. But before i
update it does not do that. It will go throught the bios step really quick
and as soon as it gets to my hardrive and i guess starts looking for the
drivers for startup it takes like 10 minutes you hear it clicking and making
funny noises til it gets all of the drivers. Now before i downloaded BootVis
to see if my drivers where the problem, but it didn't help either. So my
only guess is that sp1 has a conflict with my hardware i just cant figure
out where or why. I dont have any third-party drivers for my hd and
everyting works fine untill i install sp1. And what would my memory have to
do with this?
> --
> thank you very much
>
> --
> thank you very much
>

> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
> > When you installed XP, did you install a third party driver for the SATA
> > port?
> >
> > SP1 has been known to have a memory alloction problem, which is supposed
> > be fixed with SP2 (release some time between August to October???).
> >

> > "narrowpath" <narrowpath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > OK this is my situation i was having problems on my last computer with
> > installing windows xp sp1. Because when i did my computer instantly was
> > taking 5 to 10 minutes to boot up. I thought it was my cotroller card i
was
> > using for my sata hd. Well i bought a new cpu and mb w/ sata built into
it.
> > The only things that i kept was the hardrive and memory. I did a clean
> > install on the new system and did not install anything else. I restarted
> > check how fast it rebooted, and it took about a minute. So with a clean
> > system nothing extra on it to interfere with me putting sp1 on the
computer,
> > i installed service pack one. When i resarted my computer went back to
> > taking 10 minutes to boot. And when i unistalled it sp1 it went back to
> > taking a few minutes to boot. Now the last time i wrote this the people
> > called me crazy but im not and i seriously am getting tired of Windows
and
> > its glitches. So if you could at least hint at what is going on it would
> > help. Remember the only things i kept were my sata drive and my memory.
So
> > what is interfering with sp1? and which update in sp1 is it? And is
there a
> > way to download sp1 w/o that update?
> > > --
> > > thank you very much

but see if you read the first part of the message you would have seen that just recently i had done a clean fresh install with no drivers loaded or anything. At that time i had only my mouse, keyboard, and mointor hooked up. Now when i went to automatic updates i selected one, service pack one. i downloaded it and restarted my computer i did nothing esle. As soon as my computer started up it took 10 minutes to start up while at that time you could here my hd looking for stuff and i guess having a hard time at that. so i have no idea what the problem is, but it has something to do with a conflict b/n sp1 and my sata hd. i would just like to know what that would be. Do you know if anybody has contacts with microsoft so that they could as if there has been a problem in this area?

That long bootup after a Service Pack is normal. The problem is if that
boot up is every time you turn on your computer. It is still making
changes on the first boot after a Service Pack. There are certain files
that were currently being used and loaded in the memory that couldn't be
replaced by the Service Pack while Windows was running, so it has to
update those just before Windows loads them ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

narrowpath wrote:
> but see if you read the first part of the message you would have seen that just recently i had done a clean fresh install with no drivers loaded or anything. At that time i had only my mouse, keyboard, and mointor hooked up. Now when i went to automatic updates i selected one, service pack one. i downloaded it and restarted my computer i did nothing esle. As soon as my computer started up it took 10 minutes to start up while at that time you could here my hd looking for stuff and i guess having a hard time at that. so i have no idea what the problem is, but it has something to do with a conflict b/n sp1 and my sata hd. i would just like to know what that would be. Do you know if anybody has contacts with microsoft so that they could as if there has been a problem in this area?

Ok so this so my computer is taking a long time to boot up because windows is continually updating itself. But the probleme is that when i had updated my computer last time be the clean install. my computer was slow everytime time for about a month and i turn on my computer everyday. so that is loke 30 times at least. so then how many time do i need to start up before it gets faster? and if it is just updating files then is things i need to do so that windows can update all of the files or something like that? Another wards what can i do so that my computer doesn't slow down every single time i boot up?

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> That long bootup after a Service Pack is normal. The problem is if that
> boot up is every time you turn on your computer. It is still making
> changes on the first boot after a Service Pack. There are certain files
> that were currently being used and loaded in the memory that couldn't be
> replaced by the Service Pack while Windows was running, so it has to
> update those just before Windows loads them ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> narrowpath wrote:
> > but see if you read the first part of the message you would have seen that just recently i had done a clean fresh install with no drivers loaded or anything. At that time i had only my mouse, keyboard, and mointor hooked up. Now when i went to automatic updates i selected one, service pack one. i downloaded it and restarted my computer i did nothing esle. As soon as my computer started up it took 10 minutes to start up while at that time you could here my hd looking for stuff and i guess having a hard time at that. so i have no idea what the problem is, but it has something to do with a conflict b/n sp1 and my sata hd. i would just like to know what that would be. Do you know if anybody has contacts with microsoft so that they could as if there has been a problem in this area?

It should only do that once after the install of Service Pack 1 and
maybe after critical updates or something like that. I would check what
programs you have installed that are loading on startup, what drivers
you are using, etc. Many of these things can slow down your bootup.

Try this:
Do a clean install of Windows XP, then update to Service Pack 1. Don't
install anything between doing these two and see if it still boots up
slower than it did without the Service Pack. Something tells me that
you have something installed that is causing the problem and it has
nothing to do with the update to Service Pack 1.

----
Nathan McNulty

narrowpath wrote:
> Ok so this so my computer is taking a long time to boot up because windows is continually updating itself. But the probleme is that when i had updated my computer last time be the clean install. my computer was slow everytime time for about a month and i turn on my computer everyday. so that is loke 30 times at least. so then how many time do i need to start up before it gets faster? and if it is just updating files then is things i need to do so that windows can update all of the files or something like that? Another wards what can i do so that my computer doesn't slow down every single time i boot up?
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>That long bootup after a Service Pack is normal. The problem is if that
>>boot up is every time you turn on your computer. It is still making
>>changes on the first boot after a Service Pack. There are certain files
>>that were currently being used and loaded in the memory that couldn't be
>>replaced by the Service Pack while Windows was running, so it has to
>>update those just before Windows loads them ;)
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>narrowpath wrote:
>>
>>>but see if you read the first part of the message you would have seen that just recently i had done a clean fresh install with no drivers loaded or anything. At that time i had only my mouse, keyboard, and mointor hooked up. Now when i went to automatic updates i selected one, service pack one. i downloaded it and restarted my computer i did nothing esle. As soon as my computer started up it took 10 minutes to start up while at that time you could here my hd looking for stuff and i guess having a hard time at that. so i have no idea what the problem is, but it has something to do with a conflict b/n sp1 and my sata hd. i would just like to know what that would be. Do you know if anybody has contacts with microsoft so that they could as if there has been a problem in this area?

Ok here it is well if you read my first thing i had already did a clean install of sp1 but i just downloaded sp1 and and yes it took about five minutes the first time to start up and then i restarted and it took another five minutes. But the thing is that i did a bootvis and found some stuff out. it took 300+ seconds for my logon+service to load, and when i look at driver delays it seems that my computer is loading all of my drivers twice and loading drivers that i have never used before. Also when i look at cpu usage my cpu was idle 95% of the time. So does this make since to anybody? i have no idea what or how to speed it up? Its not defraging its not optimizing (done those before) there has to be a way to find the file that my computer uses to boot and correct the stuff its loading. But would anybody know what file that is, or even if it exist?
--
thank you very much

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> It should only do that once after the install of Service Pack 1 and
> maybe after critical updates or something like that. I would check what
> programs you have installed that are loading on startup, what drivers
> you are using, etc. Many of these things can slow down your bootup.
>
> Try this:
> Do a clean install of Windows XP, then update to Service Pack 1. Don't
> install anything between doing these two and see if it still boots up
> slower than it did without the Service Pack. Something tells me that
> you have something installed that is causing the problem and it has
> nothing to do with the update to Service Pack 1.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> narrowpath wrote:
> > Ok so this so my computer is taking a long time to boot up because windows is continually updating itself. But the probleme is that when i had updated my computer last time be the clean install. my computer was slow everytime time for about a month and i turn on my computer everyday. so that is loke 30 times at least. so then how many time do i need to start up before it gets faster? and if it is just updating files then is things i need to do so that windows can update all of the files or something like that? Another wards what can i do so that my computer doesn't slow down every single time i boot up?
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>That long bootup after a Service Pack is normal. The problem is if that
> >>boot up is every time you turn on your computer. It is still making
> >>changes on the first boot after a Service Pack. There are certain files
> >>that were currently being used and loaded in the memory that couldn't be
> >>replaced by the Service Pack while Windows was running, so it has to
> >>update those just before Windows loads them ;)
> >>
> >>----
> >>Nathan McNulty

Only way I can think of would be to do another clean install and hope
that it was just Service Pack 1 that didn't install right for some odd
reason.

----
Nathan McNulty