Touch Screen Chip Market Ignited by iPhone and iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Apple sold 315 million touch screen devices in 2011. Short of a figure of how many actual touch screen devices sold in 2011 (not ICs), it's not easy to work out the percentage. If I was to estimate based off the apparent fact that 1 device was sold for every 1.6 integrated circuits in 2010, this would be in the order of 25-30% of all devices in 2011, but we know that wouldn't be accurate.

http://macintude.net/2012/03/07/apple-announces-new-sales-figures/

In fact, I dug deeper and found the following:

http://tabtimes.com/news/ittech-stats-research/2012/03/28/iphone-ipad-lead-way-booming-sales-touchscreen-chips

I quote:

"Capacitive touch screens, like those first used by Apple in its various iDevices, made up 54% of the touch market in 2011."

That's quite different to what you've stated above.

The original source article is as follows:

http://www.isuppli.com/Home-and-Consumer-Electronics/MarketWatch/Pages/Touch-Controller-IC-Market-to-Nearly-Triple-in-Just-Five-Years.aspx

I'm not trying to show you up for every article you post, Douglas, but I simply felt the need to point out an error, that's all.

onanonanon

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Regardless of the detail, surely "Touch Screen Chip Market Ignited by iPhone and iPad" is stating the bleeding obvious? Since touchscreen devices were made commonplace by the advent of the iPhone then the components used to make them would have gone into high scale production. It's like saying the advent of the Ford Model T ignited the car parts industry and expecting anyone to be surprised.

avalach21

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
What about the Nintendo DS? That came out in 2004, sold over 100 million units. I think it played a large roll in popularizing touch screen tech and making it mainstream

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Apple ignited not only the smartphone world, but the entire technological world. They're a company who will strive to make the best products, and always have. I have never seen such an amazing company. Every time I pick up my Mac, iPhone, and iPad, I'm enriched with a plethora of positive feelings and simply glad to be alive.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]Apple ignited not only the smartphone world, but the entire technological world. They're a company who will strive to make the best products, and always have. I have never seen such an amazing company. Every time I pick up my Mac, iPhone, and iPad, I'm enriched with a plethora of positive feelings and simply glad to be alive.[/citation]

Thats got to be trolling :p

bender3000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]Thats got to be trolling[/citation]

Should we expect anything less from someone drinking the kool-aid? :)

Partizan92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
the best manufacturer to be these days is Atmel.. their series of maxTouch controllers is dominating the market.. if you follow the taredowns of smartphones and tablets you will find out that most of them are using Atmel touch controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.