Closed

Disabling automatic driver install in XP Home

July 21, 2004 2:35:25 AM

Hi all

I've got a question that pertains to XP Home.

I'm trying to install a new cordless mouse and keyboard.
The system came with a custom keyboard and mouse combo so
I have to uninstall the drivers and software for them
before I can install the new ones.

However, every time I try to uninstall the old drivers I
need to restart Windows. As Windows starts up it detects
the new hardware but automatically installs the old
drivers again.

Is there a setting where I can disable the automatic
installation of the drivers? I seem to recall a checkbox
somewhere that will allow me to do this but I can't
remember if that was on XP Home or 2kPro.

TIA

--
Michael

Chazzozz!!
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 21, 2004 3:49:33 PM

XP does not have an option to turn off auto driver installs.

What you can try is to install the drivers in safe mode.

"Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I've got a question that pertains to XP Home.
>
> I'm trying to install a new cordless mouse and keyboard.
> The system came with a custom keyboard and mouse combo so
> I have to uninstall the drivers and software for them
> before I can install the new ones.
>
> However, every time I try to uninstall the old drivers I
> need to restart Windows. As Windows starts up it detects
> the new hardware but automatically installs the old
> drivers again.
>
> Is there a setting where I can disable the automatic
> installation of the drivers? I seem to recall a checkbox
> somewhere that will allow me to do this but I can't
> remember if that was on XP Home or 2kPro.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Michael
>

> Chazzozz!!

July 21, 2004 6:53:26 PM

>XP does not have an option to turn off auto driver
installs.

>What you can try is to install the drivers in safe mode.

OK, thanks. I'll try that.

--
Michael

Chazzozz!!

>"Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've got a question that pertains to XP Home.
>>
>> I'm trying to install a new cordless mouse and keyboard.
>> The system came with a custom keyboard and mouse combo
so
>> I have to uninstall the drivers and software for them
>> before I can install the new ones.
>>
>> However, every time I try to uninstall the old drivers I
>> need to restart Windows. As Windows starts up it
detects
>> the new hardware but automatically installs the old
>> drivers again.
>>
>> Is there a setting where I can disable the automatic
>> installation of the drivers? I seem to recall a
checkbox
>> somewhere that will allow me to do this but I can't
>> remember if that was on XP Home or 2kPro.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Michael
>>

>> Chazzozz!!
>>

>.

Related resources
October 29, 2010 3:42:54 PM

i think you can disable your xp auto update driver by go to the
>control panel>systems>hardware>windows update>never search windows update for driver. it's done

cmiiw.
*i just searching about it a minute ago and found the way. i just wanna give the way to anyone who search by google and arrived here just like me. hope can help you even if this post is 6 month ago* :D
a b \ Driver
October 29, 2010 11:20:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!