Closed

Disabling automatic driver install in XP Home

Hi all

I've got a question that pertains to XP Home.

I'm trying to install a new cordless mouse and keyboard.
The system came with a custom keyboard and mouse combo so
I have to uninstall the drivers and software for them
before I can install the new ones.

However, every time I try to uninstall the old drivers I
need to restart Windows. As Windows starts up it detects
the new hardware but automatically installs the old
drivers again.

Is there a setting where I can disable the automatic
installation of the drivers? I seem to recall a checkbox
somewhere that will allow me to do this but I can't
remember if that was on XP Home or 2kPro.

TIA

--
Michael

Chazzozz!!
4 answers Last reply
More about disabling automatic driver install home

    XP does not have an option to turn off auto driver installs.

    What you can try is to install the drivers in safe mode.

    "Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I've got a question that pertains to XP Home.
    >
    > I'm trying to install a new cordless mouse and keyboard.
    > The system came with a custom keyboard and mouse combo so
    > I have to uninstall the drivers and software for them
    > before I can install the new ones.
    >
    > However, every time I try to uninstall the old drivers I
    > need to restart Windows. As Windows starts up it detects
    > the new hardware but automatically installs the old
    > drivers again.
    >
    > Is there a setting where I can disable the automatic
    > installation of the drivers? I seem to recall a checkbox
    > somewhere that will allow me to do this but I can't
    > remember if that was on XP Home or 2kPro.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Michael
    >

    > Chazzozz!!

    >XP does not have an option to turn off auto driver
    installs.

    >What you can try is to install the drivers in safe mode.

    OK, thanks. I'll try that.

    --
    Michael

    Chazzozz!!

    >"Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I've got a question that pertains to XP Home.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to install a new cordless mouse and keyboard.
    >> The system came with a custom keyboard and mouse combo
    so
    >> I have to uninstall the drivers and software for them
    >> before I can install the new ones.
    >>
    >> However, every time I try to uninstall the old drivers I
    >> need to restart Windows. As Windows starts up it
    detects
    >> the new hardware but automatically installs the old
    >> drivers again.
    >>
    >> Is there a setting where I can disable the automatic
    >> installation of the drivers? I seem to recall a
    checkbox
    >> somewhere that will allow me to do this but I can't
    >> remember if that was on XP Home or 2kPro.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael
    >>

    >> Chazzozz!!
    >>

    >.

  3. i think you can disable your xp auto update driver by go to the
    >control panel>systems>hardware>windows update>never search windows update for driver. it's done

    cmiiw.
    *i just searching about it a minute ago and found the way. i just wanna give the way to anyone who search by google and arrived here just like me. hope can help you even if this post is 6 month ago* :D

Hardware Drivers Windows XP