Graphics Card Help

I have the Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller. Is that a
graphics card? I don't know much about this area of
computers. How can I tell if my graphics has its own card
or if it is on-board? I don't want to open up the case.

I can't get any games to run on my PC, so any help would
be GREATLY appreciated.

I have a HP PC running Windows XP Home Edition
CPU - P4 2.6
RAM - 3/4 gigabyte DDR.
HDD - Over 40 gig free.

Please help. Thanks.

bar

If you have a desktop computer [ of the white box or unbranded type] a quick inspection of the connections at the back of the PC should give you a 90% true indictaion.

Generally those PC's built using an on-board graphics controller will have the monitor adapter socket located near the Serial and Parallel Port.

Those with a separate Graphic Controller [on a card] will have the Monitor adapter socket as the first or second 'slot' in the expansion board area. This will also be where you might find an ethernet adapter, on board modem and some USB slots.

Having said that all these items can also be on-board the motherboard, but again their sockets / adapetrs will be grouped together just under the power supply. This is the area where Mouse, Keyboard, some USB ports, serial port, parallel port are usually located as they are standard items on 99% of motherboards these days.

"FRIEND" wrote:

> I have the Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller. Is that a
> graphics card? I don't know much about this area of
> computers. How can I tell if my graphics has its own card
> or if it is on-board? I don't want to open up the case.
>
> I can't get any games to run on my PC, so any help would
> be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> I have a HP PC running Windows XP Home Edition
> CPU - P4 2.6
> RAM - 3/4 gigabyte DDR.
> HDD - Over 40 gig free.
>
> Please help. Thanks.

Your computer is using motherboard with the graphics card
integrated on the mobo. The question is does it have an AGP
slot so you can upgrade the video to run those games. You
can download EVEREST from www.lavalys.com for free. It will
scan your system and report to you such details as the
actual make and model of the motherboard that HP used. You
can then get the mobo manual and find out the details and
your upgrade possibilities.

The amount of RAM that can be used by the on-board graphics
can be adjusted in the BIOS and with display properties, you
should be able to have as much as 64 MB of video RAM
available if properly setup. But it won't be as fast as an
AGP card such as are now on the market.

"FRIEND" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:115101c46ef3$608f7860$a501280a@phx.gbl...