Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001

I have just bought an LG GSA-4120B DVD-RAM -R/W +R/W drive and I run
it from an Constar firewire / usb 2 enclosure on Winxp home. I decided
to use firewire because the USB bus has disks on it. For the first
couple of days it work fine and then it stopped working. The drive
name changed to "DVD-RAM Drive" (from "MX-120") and it always says "no
disc inserted" when you click it in explorer, although it works fine
through USB 2. I tried everything and eventually it came back on after
I installed an MS service pack for firewire enumeration. It again
worked fine for a week and again stopped working and went back to
"DVD-RAM Drive".

What's going on I have made no changes to the system but it seems to
change when it wants.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001

Dear All
I should really amend the first post, the problem also exists with USB
2, i.e. the first time I tried it worked, the second time I tried it
didn't. I should also state that the Drive information in Nero 6 is
always correct and so I don't think it is the drive itself.