WINXP Home install won't work

Upgrade to winxp home won't install from win98 with new
motherboard and cpu. What should I check? went from AMD
300 to AMD 2200 Pro and SIS 740 chipset, new 256 DDR, old
HD and peripherals.
Farf

Did you buy a retail UPGRADE CD or did you get an OEM CD?

"Farfignewgun" <bavidor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Upgrade to winxp home won't install from win98 with new
| motherboard and cpu. What should I check? went from AMD
| 300 to AMD 2200 Pro and SIS 740 chipset, new 256 DDR, old
| HD and peripherals.
| Farf

Hello

You should backup any important data first and then proceed
to do the upgrade. Always backup your data first and instead
of just upgrading do a clean install of XP. It will ask for win98
and just provide it when it does.

Al

Jim Macklin wrote:

> Did you buy a retail UPGRADE CD or did you get an OEM CD?

> "Farfignewgun" <bavidor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Upgrade to winxp home won't install from win98 with new
> | motherboard and cpu. What should I check? went from AMD
> | 300 to AMD 2200 Pro and SIS 740 chipset, new 256 DDR, old
> | HD and peripherals.
> | Farf

papa

After you installed the new motherboard and CPU, were you able to get W98 up
and running again? If so, and if W98 is still operational, run the XP
compatibility program (it is on the XP disk). It will issue a report of any
potential problems with your system.