Epson C82 clogged after power outage? Advice?

My Epson C82, not ancient but out of warranty, worked perfectly two
days ago. Yesterday, I experienced a 2 hour power outage. The printer
was powered on _but not printing_, just quietly sitting there, when
the outage occurred. Following restoration of power, there were no
problems with any of my computer equipment except the C82.

The C82 appears to behave normally in every respect, communicating
with the computer, loading paper and moving the printhead normally as
if it were printing, but acts as if most of the jets on all four
cartridges had become clogged. Only a faint, ghostly image is printed.
Running the nozzle check utility shows only a few scattered black
lines. The utility reported that the black cartridge was about half
full and the others all about a quarter full.

I ran the cleaning cycle and nozzle check approximately ten times,
with no improvement in the nozzle check pattern. At that point, the
cleaning cycle had apparently depleted the ink, because it prompted me
to replace the yellow cartridge, then the magenta cartridge, then the
cyan cartridge. Since the immediate problem was ordinary black
printing, I replaced the black cartridge (about $60 worth of
cartridges). The printer ran its initialization sequence. After
replacing all cartridges, the printer would not make any visible marks
on the page, not even the ghostly images it printed before. No
improvement after one cleaning cycle and nozzle check.

Any ideas? Anything better to do then cuss Epson and wreak some mild
physical violence on the C82, then buy a new printer?

This is most likely clogged nozzles, or some failed electronics. It is more
possible that some ink dried up in the nozzles, and is not coming out. First
consult your manual about how they suggest to clean the nozzles. You may
have to have the printer serviced.

Another suggestion is, if you can get at the nozzles, remove the cartridges,
and try putting some rubbing alcohol to soak for a few minutes in them. Then
install back the cartridges, and run the printer through a cleaning cycle to
see if it flushes the ink through. If this does not work, then you will
most likely have to have the printer serviced.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com