need to reinstall system32 file, please help!

clayton

i need to reinstall hal.dll into the windows\system32
folder. but i have to do it through dos... would the
command "fixboot" work?
thanks for taking the time to help!
clay

First off, the error message when Windows boots up and tells you to
reinstall hal.dll is usually caused by putting the NTLDR file on a drive
without Windows and trying to boot from it. If the file really is
missing, you can extract it from hal.dl_ on the Windows XP CD under the
i386 directory. Are you sure there is a valid installation of Windows
on the drive that this error is occuring on?

----
Nathan McNulty

clayton wrote:
> i need to reinstall hal.dll into the windows\system32
> folder. but i have to do it through dos... would the
> command "fixboot" work?
> thanks for taking the time to help!
> clay

thanks, but ho do i get that file if windows won't start?
on the boot screen it says "can't find
windows/system32/hal.dll"

I would boot off your Windows XP Installation CD, choose to Install
Windows, then it will find your existing installation, then press R to
repair the OS. Note: Don't press R for Recovery Console (that is the
first option), but choose Install, then R ;)

This should automatically fix the OS.

----
Nathan McNulty