P4P800 and WinXP Standby problems

willie

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004

I have a P4P800 with WinXP Home and 2 40GB HDs plus Promise Raid
controller adapter and 3 120GB drives in RAID0 array. Everything worked
fine and I could go into Standby mode and the Resume with no problems.
When I upgraded to an 80GB Seagate Baracuda HD for my C drive, the
system worked ok, but when I go into Standby Mode, things look ok
(system light blinks) until I press the Power key to resume. The system
appears to start to resume (disks power up), only the monitor does not
go on, the disk activity light stays on for a while, then the system
reboots. The system is the same on both the IBM Deskstar 40GB drive and
the Seagate drive (I used PowerQuest DriveImage to clone it). If I go
back to the 40GB drive, Resume works again.
Does anyone have any suggestions/explanations?

Willie

you have quite a load at boot, that new seagate may be pushing things.
Try disconnting the raid array (unplug the power plugs) and then run
the standby test again with just the seagate attached and cd-roms /
dvd's etc. See what happens...If the results are better, you may have
to delay the initializating of some of the drives or upgrade the psu.
If nothing changes, your problem lies with the cloned drive
configuration, powerquest may have some info on that.

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:03:40 -0500, Willie <willie@bestspam.net>
wrote:

>I have a P4P800 with WinXP Home and 2 40GB HDs plus Promise Raid
>controller adapter and 3 120GB drives in RAID0 array. Everything worked
>fine and I could go into Standby mode and the Resume with no problems.
>When I upgraded to an 80GB Seagate Baracuda HD for my C drive, the
>system worked ok, but when I go into Standby Mode, things look ok
>(system light blinks) until I press the Power key to resume. The system
>appears to start to resume (disks power up), only the monitor does not
>go on, the disk activity light stays on for a while, then the system
>reboots. The system is the same on both the IBM Deskstar 40GB drive and
>the Seagate drive (I used PowerQuest DriveImage to clone it). If I go
>back to the 40GB drive, Resume works again.
>Does anyone have any suggestions/explanations?
>
>Willie

willie

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks for the suggestion. I had never thought of power problems. I
decided that I did not need the extra 40 GB drive since I replaced one
40GB with an 80GB. Therefore I used Partition Magic to copy the two
40GB drive partitions to the 80GB drive as on primary and one logical
and just put in the one Seagate along with the RAID array. Now the
Resume works fine!

Willia