A7V266-E Critical Problem

Yes, I know my mb is not state-of-the-art, but I really need help.

A few weeks ago, I asked on this forum if I could just switch my old CPU
(AMD Athlon XP 1700+) to an AMD Athlon XP 2400+. The FSB is the same on
both, 266. I was largely assured by all the replies that it would be a
simple pop-out-and-drop-in procedure. Well, it wasn't, and I am now way
out of my league and need serious help.

The 2400+ snapped in extremely easily. Nothing else changed, repeat,
nothing else. Now, (p.44 of the User's Manual) I get "Long beeps in an
endless loop", which means "No DRAM installed or detected". The DRAM is
installed -- it didn't change. So that means that it is not being
detected. It is 2 sticks of 256K Crucial DDR, which was fine for the 1700+.

And now I am stumped. In fact, I don't even know a question to ask. I
am afraid I will have to take it to a CompUSA, or call some "computer
doctor" from the newspaper, which will probably cost me more than the
components are worth right now.

Since I am in jumper-free mode, I thought that the BIOS would detect the
different chip speed and start up by landing me in the first BIOS
screen. Do I have to go into jumper-on mode and change settings? (As
you can see, I am REALLY at a loss here).

Hope someone can guide me.

TIA,
DJRuppel
djruppel@optonline.net

DJRuppel wrote:
> Yes, I know my mb is not state-of-the-art, but I really need help.
>
> A few weeks ago, I asked on this forum if I could just switch my old CPU
> (AMD Athlon XP 1700+) to an AMD Athlon XP 2400+. The FSB is the same on
> both, 266. I was largely assured by all the replies that it would be a
> simple pop-out-and-drop-in procedure. Well, it wasn't, and I am now way
> out of my league and need serious help.
>
> The 2400+ snapped in extremely easily. Nothing else changed, repeat,
> nothing else. Now, (p.44 of the User's Manual) I get "Long beeps in an
> endless loop", which means "No DRAM installed or detected". The DRAM is
> installed -- it didn't change. So that means that it is not being
> detected. It is 2 sticks of 256K Crucial DDR, which was fine for the
> 1700+.
>
> And now I am stumped. In fact, I don't even know a question to ask. I
> am afraid I will have to take it to a CompUSA, or call some "computer
> doctor" from the newspaper, which will probably cost me more than the
> components are worth right now.
>
> Since I am in jumper-free mode, I thought that the BIOS would detect the
> different chip speed and start up by landing me in the first BIOS
> screen. Do I have to go into jumper-on mode and change settings? (As
> you can see, I am REALLY at a loss here).
>
> Hope someone can guide me.
>
> TIA,
> DJRuppel
> djruppel@optonline.net

First thing I would probably try is resetting the CMOS (with the reset
jumper, see the motherboard manual)..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

that cpu is certainly supported by that board provided you have at least
bios 1015.001
If you haven't already done so, update your bios using the old XP 1700+ to
the latest version then reinstall the 2400+.
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

cheers & season greetings