audio codecs - none found/seen

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I'm attempting to resolve an audio codec probem (no
voices on Microsoft Freelancer) but...I can't list my
audio codecs!

I attempt to view/list them via:
Start
Control Panel
Sounds and Audio
Hardware (tab)

I see lots of entries, including my video codecs..but for
some reason the entry for my audio codecs has
disappeared. My other XP system has them using the same
steps.

Anyone know how to restore the entry? I'm positive I have
several audio codecs installed.

TIA,
Randy

Have you tried just reinstalling the codecs or the latest Sound Card
drivers? That usually fixes it for me :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Randy wrote:
> I'm attempting to resolve an audio codec probem (no
> voices on Microsoft Freelancer) but...I can't list my
> audio codecs!
>
> I attempt to view/list them via:
> Start
> Control Panel
> Sounds and Audio
> Hardware (tab)
>
> I see lots of entries, including my video codecs..but for
> some reason the entry for my audio codecs has
> disappeared. My other XP system has them using the same
> steps.
>
> Anyone know how to restore the entry? I'm positive I have
> several audio codecs installed.
>
> TIA,
> Randy

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Hi Nathan,

Yep, but no luck. I even just downloaded and installed
the
Windows Media 9 Series Codec Installation Package for IT
Professionals
from the Microsoft download site.
Still, the audio codecs don't appear under
sound, video and game controllers.
I see video codecs, Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver,
a bunch of WinFast TV2000 stuff...but not the entry
for Audio Codecs.

The AVIcodec tool sees a bunch, but I can't under Device
Manager. Wondering if my registry is messed up or
something. Any other ideas?

Randy

Does everything still play properly? Seems like the computer just isn't
gathering the info. If it doesn't affect anything, I'd leave it alone.
You can always try to repair the installation if it really poses a
problem. Boot off your XP CD, choose Install, select Repair, then it
should take care of everything for you ;)

----
Nathan McNulty