Major Dialup Woes

Hawkmoon

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003
Yeah, I'm one of those poor SOB's that can't make the switch to broadband just yet so I'm stuck with dialup for the time being. This wouldn't be so horrible if it weren't for this problem I've been having for the past couple of months:

Daytime dialup usage: Connection trouble, Throughput slowness, DNS errors

Nighttime usage: No problems at all.

What the heck?

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the cause of this and have even changed ISP's with no results. Waiting on a reply back from the phone company so far but would like any ideas you folks can give me. Thanks.

How old is your modem?

I recommend a new one every couple of years, as they tend to improve slightly.

The V.92 series was my last one before moving to ADSL [/smug], and it got consistent speeds of 48000 - 49666 kb/s.

Keep your cables short, untwisted or uncoiled and try not to have them run near electricity points if possible.

Perhaps a registry cleanup. Are you using accelerators? Personally I've found them to be no help, and in some cases, they slow things down!!!

Good phone cabling can also help. Some houses have older cabling, and this can make a difference. Check out communications websites on line quality tests.

Bad weather or proximity to 'noisy' (electrical noise)machinery or equipment may also degrade your speed, if the cabling runs past it.

DNS errors should be particular to your ISP, or it may be your location. See if other 56k users in your area have similar problems.

Nightime Usage
Less folk online, less phone calls = less crap at your phone exchange. I would seriously consider getting your line tested. Is your phoneline quality good for conversations?

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Hawkmoon

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003
Thanks for all the help! I'm thinking I *should* get my line tested, is this something I'd go bother the phone company about? It's all very bizarre. It wasn't doing this a couple months ago.

Just make a list of all the things it could be, then cross out all the things you know it can't be, attack all the things you can, and use the phone for all the things you can't. :wink:

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Cerian

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
I would definitely have my line tested and you bug the phone company about that. My brother-in-law was just having relatively slow dialup rates and after he had his line tested and replaced his connection rate improved dramatically. The difference between night and day could be increased phone usage and not necessarily net usage.