Problem installing Windows 7

GCS_85

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
smit.all
Problem Installing Windows 7
I'm trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium (upgrade). After clicking the "install" I'm getting an Error Code 0X80070490. Could resolve it by running 'cmd' and typing in 'sfc/scannow'. Program is 'verifying if protected Window files are intact and in the original version'. I was asked to insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD. After I did I get: "Could not find the files on this CD. Insert original CD". But this is the original one that came with my computer? What to do now??? Gerry

GCS_85

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
The nstallation booklet said: Turn on your PC - Click "start" button - My Comupter - Open Installation disk - Double click 'setup.exe'

Isn't that what I was supposed to do? GCS

GCS_85

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

After placing Windows 7 Install in CD drive, I turned off the PC, and restarted it. It didn't boot up from the cd, but from XP. Do I miss something?

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

Regardless of what the other people have said here, you CAN open the directory for the Windows 7 Install DVD and run Setup.exe from within Windows and it will start the install process. When you are presented with the options to 'upgrade' or 'custom' install, choose custom. If you see an option to "ignore all boneheads" click that button several times over. If you are comfortable changing the boot priority in BIOS, you can do so but most motherboards have an option to choose the Boot Device menu during POST and you can select the CD/DVDrom. When prompted to press the "any key", press it! (space bar also works, wink wink).

The OP tells us that he is trying to go from XP to Win 7 OS. He must do a clean install. Period. End of discussion.