P4PE LAN interface .... DOS?

I'm trying to set up a boot floppy to boot to MSDos with network
access on my P4PE machine (with built-in Broadcom Network Interface.

I've tried several versions of boot floppy including Bart's, Teledata
and one made using Ghost but all of them give me the same problem ....
the Broadcom NIC driver will not load because it can't find the
network interface. I've tried drivers from several sources. Moreover,
the Bart's boot disk offers the option of auto-detecting the interface
but it too bails out because it can't find one.

The interface *is* working perfectly well in Windows so the hardware
seems OK. I've looked in the bios and the only thing that looked like
it might be related was "Onboard LAN Boot Rom". Don't know what this
achieves (the manual, as usual, simply repeats the bios field label
with the explanation "This field allows you to enable or disable the
option ROM in the onboard LAN controller chipset" which might help if
you didn't understand the original English but hardly improves your
understanding as a technical explanation). In any event, neither
setting affected my problem.

Is there something I'm missing here?
6 answers Last reply
More about p4pe interface

    WoofWoof wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up a boot floppy to boot to MSDos with network
    > access on my P4PE machine (with built-in Broadcom Network Interface.
    >
    > I've tried several versions of boot floppy including Bart's, Teledata
    > and one made using Ghost but all of them give me the same problem ....
    > the Broadcom NIC driver will not load because it can't find the
    > network interface. I've tried drivers from several sources. Moreover,
    > the Bart's boot disk offers the option of auto-detecting the interface
    > but it too bails out because it can't find one.
    >
    > The interface *is* working perfectly well in Windows so the hardware
    > seems OK. I've looked in the bios and the only thing that looked like
    > it might be related was "Onboard LAN Boot Rom". Don't know what this
    > achieves (the manual, as usual, simply repeats the bios field label
    > with the explanation "This field allows you to enable or disable the
    > option ROM in the onboard LAN controller chipset" which might help if
    > you didn't understand the original English but hardly improves your
    > understanding as a technical explanation). In any event, neither
    > setting affected my problem.
    >
    > Is there something I'm missing here?

    Check the Plug & Play OS setting in the BIOS - it should be set to No
    for this, otherwise it won't assign any resources to the network
    interface if the OS doesn't do it, which DOS won't.

    Other than that, are you sure the DOS driver you have actually supports
    that model of the chip?

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

    it sounds like your doing all you can, but I have to ask if you've
    tried the dos file off of the Asus support site ? I too have that
    board and I will try it on this end to see if there is a possible
    solution / conflict.

    ñíñjà¤têç

    -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

    Robert Hancock wrote:

    > WoofWoof wrote:
    > > I'm trying to set up a boot floppy to boot to MSDos with network
    > > access on my P4PE machine (with built-in Broadcom Network Interface.
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    > > Is there something I'm missing here?
    >
    > Check the Plug & Play OS setting in the BIOS - it should be set to No
    > for this, otherwise it won't assign any resources to the network
    > interface if the OS doesn't do it, which DOS won't.

    That sounded so logical to me. Disappointingly though, it didn't make
    any difference when I tried. I also tried resetting the escd and
    turning on the LAN Boot ROM. None of those made any difference either.

    > Other than that, are you sure the DOS driver you have actually supports
    > that model of the chip?

    I've tried drivers that purport to be for this chip from a number of
    sources (including the DOS driver that ASUS has on its site for the
    P4PE MB) and with various styles of bootdisk. I just re-tried the
    driver from Asus with the latest bootdisk (Bart's Network Boot).
    Everything fails. The driver doesn't detect the Network Controller in
    every case.

    Yes, I have tried the DOS NDIS2 driver from the ASUS site with a
    couple of the bootdisk versions I'd previously tried. I just tried
    again with the latest bootdisk I'm trying (Bart's Network Boot)
    without success.

    I'd certainly appreciate it if you could try the driver on your setup
    and see if it works for you. It would be most helpful.

    Also, if you're interested, you can get the Bart's Network Boot disk
    files from:
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

    You actually just need the bfd107.zip package at:
    http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=bfd107.zip

    Then get the appropriate Broadcom Driver from the long list of drivers
    on the page ... I chose "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Ethernet NDIS2 Driver
    v2.44" which gives B44.cab.

    Once you've made the basic bootdisk (it automatic with this package)
    you just copy the B44.cab file to the appropriate directory on the
    floppy.

    If you do try this, I'd certainly be interested in you results. (My
    email is un-munged and will work if you wish).

    Bill Smith wrote:

    > it sounds like your doing all you can, but I have to ask if you've
    > tried the dos file off of the Asus support site ? I too have that
    > board and I will try it on this end to see if there is a possible
    > solution / conflict.
    >
    > ñíñjà¤têç
    >
    > -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----
    >
    > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:52:21 -0500, WoofWoof <oftenbark@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to set up a boot floppy to boot to MSDos with network
    > >access on my P4PE machine (with built-in Broadcom Network Interface.
    > >
    > >I've tried several versions of boot floppy including Bart's, Teledata
    > >and one made using Ghost but all of them give me the same problem ....
    > >the Broadcom NIC driver will not load because it can't find the
    > >network interface. I've tried drivers from several sources. Moreover,
    > >the Bart's boot disk offers the option of auto-detecting the interface
    > >but it too bails out because it can't find one.
    > >
    > >The interface *is* working perfectly well in Windows so the hardware
    > >seems OK. I've looked in the bios and the only thing that looked like
    > >it might be related was "Onboard LAN Boot Rom". Don't know what this
    > >achieves (the manual, as usual, simply repeats the bios field label
    > >with the explanation "This field allows you to enable or disable the
    > >option ROM in the onboard LAN controller chipset" which might help if
    > >you didn't understand the original English but hardly improves your
    > >understanding as a technical explanation). In any event, neither
    > >setting affected my problem.
    > >
    > >Is there something I'm missing here?

    (slightly red-faced)

    The problem was the wrong driver .... there are two drivers available
    the 5702 and the 4401. I had (mis)understood that the 5702 driver
    would be used if you were running a network at 1000 Mb speed while the
    4401 driver would be used for 10/100 Mb. I now realise that the 5702
    driver should be used with the Gigabit controller for all three
    speeds. Asus presumably switched controllers from the 4401 to the 5702
    somewhere down the line.

    And Robert, you were quite correct, I did need to set the P&P to "No"
    to make it work.

    I still have a small issue left, but not connected with the MB I
    think.

    Thanks to both Robert and Bill for the help. I love these forums for
    this kind of thing - makes me think all is right with the world
    whatever's going on around us.

    Sood for you, don't fell bad though, at one point Asus even had the gb
    lan driver listed under that mobo downloads as the 10/100 and I did
    eventually figure out that I could not use that one with my 10/100
    issued hardware. A bit more clarrity on their website may help user's
    avoid some of these situations...

    ñíñjà¤têç

    -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:50:19 -0500, WoofWoof <oftenbark@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >(slightly red-faced)
    >
    >The problem was the wrong driver .... there are two drivers available
    >the 5702 and the 4401. I had (mis)understood that the 5702 driver
    >would be used if you were running a network at 1000 Mb speed while the
    >4401 driver would be used for 10/100 Mb. I now realise that the 5702
    >driver should be used with the Gigabit controller for all three
    >speeds. Asus presumably switched controllers from the 4401 to the 5702
    >somewhere down the line.
    >
    >And Robert, you were quite correct, I did need to set the P&P to "No"
    >to make it work.
    >
    >I still have a small issue left, but not connected with the MB I
    >think.
    >
    >Thanks to both Robert and Bill for the help. I love these forums for
    >this kind of thing - makes me think all is right with the world
    >whatever's going on around us.

Asus Floppy Disk Boot Motherboards