Last response: in Motherboards
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2004 9:21:38 PM

I'm considering installing a third HDD in my computer for more
storage. All my IDE slots are full (2 HDD, CD-RW and DVD-RW) so the
third HDD would have to be SATA. I've seen several references to the
need to install the SATA drivers, and this is the part I'm unsure of
and I hope I don't sound too stupid here. Where do I get the drivers
and what do I do with them? I have Windows XP Pro SP2. I found the
Promise SATA 378 driver (Promise SATA378 Driver V1.00.0.26 (ATA Mode)
on the Asus download page. Is this the right one?

Most of the references I've found have been people trying to install
an OS on a SATA drive. The need to hit F6 and install from a floppy.
I want to use this drive only for storage. No RAID, and it will not
be the boot drive. Can I just install the drivers in windows?

The motherboard is the P4C800-E Deluxe.

Thanks very much for any help.

More about : sata drivers p4c800 deluxe

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2004 10:40:57 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:21:38 -0800, Dave Smith <sallydog-rem-@cox.net>
wrote:

>I'm considering installing a third HDD in my computer for more
>storage. All my IDE slots are full (2 HDD, CD-RW and DVD-RW) so the
>third HDD would have to be SATA. I've seen several references to the
>need to install the SATA drivers, and this is the part I'm unsure of
>and I hope I don't sound too stupid here. Where do I get the drivers
>and what do I do with them? I have Windows XP Pro SP2. I found the
>Promise SATA 378 driver (Promise SATA378 Driver V1.00.0.26 (ATA Mode)
>on the Asus download page. Is this the right one?
>
>Most of the references I've found have been people trying to install
>an OS on a SATA drive. The need to hit F6 and install from a floppy.
>I want to use this drive only for storage. No RAID, and it will not
>be the boot drive. Can I just install the drivers in windows?
>
>The motherboard is the P4C800-E Deluxe.
>
>Thanks very much for any help.

Sorry. I went back to the download page and see that I listed the
wrong driver. Is the correct driver the Promise FastTrak 378 ATA
Driver V1.00.1.30 with the filename: 378ATA100130.zip on the page:
http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelNam...

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2005 10:27:01 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:21:38 -0800, Dave Smith <sallydog-rem-@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>>I'm considering installing a third HDD in my computer for more
>>storage. All my IDE slots are full (2 HDD, CD-RW and DVD-RW) so the
>>third HDD would have to be SATA. I've seen several references to the
>>need to install the SATA drivers, and this is the part I'm unsure of
>>and I hope I don't sound too stupid here. Where do I get the drivers
>>and what do I do with them? I have Windows XP Pro SP2. I found the
>>Promise SATA 378 driver (Promise SATA378 Driver V1.00.0.26 (ATA Mode)
>>on the Asus download page. Is this the right one?
>>
>>Most of the references I've found have been people trying to install
>>an OS on a SATA drive. The need to hit F6 and install from a floppy.
>>I want to use this drive only for storage. No RAID, and it will not
>>be the boot drive. Can I just install the drivers in windows?
>>
>>The motherboard is the P4C800-E Deluxe.
>>
>>Thanks very much for any help.
>

> Sorry. I went back to the download page and see that I listed the
> wrong driver. Is the correct driver the Promise FastTrak 378 ATA
> Driver V1.00.1.30 with the filename: 378ATA100130.zip on the page:
> http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelNam...
>
> Thanks.

That board has SATA ports that are on the Intel chipset southbridge as
well as some on the Promise controller, it depends which you want to use
(likely the Intel ports would be best). The drivers for the Intel SATA
controller are presumably already installed, they're part of the chipset
driver package I believe. The Promise controller driver is presumably
what you specified (and may already be installed).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
May 17, 2009 7:44:14 AM

Just to straighten this out for anyone who already had the RAID driver installed.

I had to do a mix of things from these posts to get it working for me.

First, I uninstalled the RAID FastTrack 378 from device manager.
Second, I had to delete the fasttx2k.sys from %WINDIR%\System32\Drivers and ptipbmf.dll from %WINDIR%\System32.
After this I restarted, set BIOS to IDE Mode for the Promise Controller, started the computer back up.
When I got to the point where it tried to install drivers, I selected manual install, then Have Disk. I pointed it to 378 ATA 100130 (Hosted on Asus' website under the P4C800-E Deluxe make sure you grab the ATA not SATA/RAID). Then made sure to select "WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE Controller".
After about a minute, I went to device manager and hit "scan for changes". It detected the drives and worked fine afterward.

Hope this helps anyone struggling with it. I know reading these posts helped me.

All in total I have 8 hard drives, 2 DVD/CD-RW, One Hard drive is External and attached using an "eSATA" cable (this board DOES NOT support hot-swap). I've got 4 IDE Hard Drives (Promise FastTrack TX2/TX4 Controller) and 4 SATA hard drives.

Works fine now, 2x2 Raid 0+1 of the IDE drives (80gbx4 stripe-mirror making 160gb drive) plus a 1.5TB, 1TB, and two 500GB Hard Drives (Raid 1) in a Server.
August 30, 2009 11:55:33 AM

compprob237 said:
[...]

Hi,
I think that your method is very clear and must work on all computers with P4C800 Deluxe

Motherboard. I should be gratefull if you can answer thre questions:

1.- If I don't have any backup of my computer, in this case must I do a computer backup before

I begin the installtion of 378 ATA 100130 - ATA-driver? That is a lot of programs to backup the

computer, I think you mean the backup program who is in Windows XP?

2.- What shall I do with the Computer Backup - program after the installation of 378 ATA 100130

- ATA-driver? Should I stop the program, or should I let it run until the finish?

3.- You say that you have at the same time 4 IDE and 4 SATA hard drives. How is possible to

have at the same time IDE and SATA- drives, in P4C800 Deluxe BIOS is only possible to select

either IDE or RAID, one at the time, not toghether? I wonder if the 2 SATA-drives are connected

at two SATA-Ports and others 2 at two SATA-RAID ports?

Many thanks by advance,

Mike 2009
!