Indie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Hi all, I was using my scanner [Epson Perfection640] several weeks ago with
no problems. Since then I'm unable to use my Epson printer [which worked
fine as well] using the serial/parallel cable however works fine on the USB
cabling, so I suspect its the s/p cable.

Now my scanner runs on USB connection. I've removed/installed but W-XP Pro
doesn't see it. I use another USB port and it works fine. The "faulty" USB
port works fine if I connect another USB device [eg mouse]. The strange
thing is that when I use the USB port that 'sees' the scanner it doesn't see
it as EPSON it sees it as "empty" that is the title when you display
scanners/camera's attached.

Any ideas/advice? TIA

Try this:

Click Start-Run-Type Regedit and click OK. Now expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-System-CurrentControlSet-Enum-USB

Now look at all of the Vid_Xxxx and look in them to see which one is
your scanner and which one is your printer. Once you find the objects
that are causing the problems, right click on the folder (the one that
starts with Vid_Xxx, not the one under it that contains the information)
and select delete. Now reboot and plug it back in and Windows should
reinall the drivers and reconfigure it.

----
Nathan McNulty

Indie wrote:
> Hi all, I was using my scanner [Epson Perfection640] several weeks ago with
> no problems. Since then I'm unable to use my Epson printer [which worked
> fine as well] using the serial/parallel cable however works fine on the USB
> cabling, so I suspect its the s/p cable.
>
> Now my scanner runs on USB connection. I've removed/installed but W-XP Pro
> doesn't see it. I use another USB port and it works fine. The "faulty" USB
> port works fine if I connect another USB device [eg mouse]. The strange
> thing is that when I use the USB port that 'sees' the scanner it doesn't see
> it as EPSON it sees it as "empty" that is the title when you display
> scanners/camera's attached.
>
> Any ideas/advice? TIA

Hello

Well does your scanner support XP Pro I can see that you have
not mention that at all.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14560&prodoid=45621&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

Alvin