Error reading from hard drive

I have an HP machine and I wanted to install WIN XP. So
I wiped out the content, formatted (through win xp) and
let xp do all the work. It formatted ok, copied the
files to the hard drive ok and finished ok. The problem
is when it reboots; it cannot read form the drive giving
me an "Error reading from drive" (or something similar).

I made sure that the hard drive is a master and the only
one in the machine.

I also made sure that the BIOS recognize the hard drive
(even though I did not change it).

I became desperate and asked a technician. he said the
hard drive is shot. So I went and bought another 80GB
hard drive and the same thing happened. I then assumed
that it might be because the hard drive is too big, so I
let WIN XP partition the drive for 20GB and install
itself on that partition, made it active and bootable.

Well... the same thing happened again. I remember the
good old days when I had the reliable (Packard Bell..
yeah). I had a similar problem and it turned out that
the machine expects the boot sector be on track 1 instead
of 0 (or the reverse). I have not tried this option yet
because I do not want to waist another 3 hours waiting
for the friken thing to install.

Is there something special I have to do to get WIN XP to
boot on an HP machine?

TIA

bar

Did you go into BIOS and select that it should Boot From CDROM in order to start the installation process.

If you did this, have you changed it to boot off the HDD after installing XP?

Given that XP had no problems with the HDD during the installation process, one would discount any BIOS, firmware or Hardware faults.

"matt bolan" wrote:

> I have an HP machine and I wanted to install WIN XP. So
> I wiped out the content, formatted (through win xp) and
> let xp do all the work. It formatted ok, copied the
> files to the hard drive ok and finished ok. The problem
> is when it reboots; it cannot read form the drive giving
> me an "Error reading from drive" (or something similar).
>
> I made sure that the hard drive is a master and the only
> one in the machine.
>
> I also made sure that the BIOS recognize the hard drive
> (even though I did not change it).
>
> I became desperate and asked a technician. he said the
> hard drive is shot. So I went and bought another 80GB
> hard drive and the same thing happened. I then assumed
> that it might be because the hard drive is too big, so I
> let WIN XP partition the drive for 20GB and install
> itself on that partition, made it active and bootable.
>
> Well... the same thing happened again. I remember the
> good old days when I had the reliable (Packard Bell..
> yeah). I had a similar problem and it turned out that
> the machine expects the boot sector be on track 1 instead
> of 0 (or the reverse). I have not tried this option yet
> because I do not want to waist another 3 hours waiting
> for the friken thing to install.
>
> Is there something special I have to do to get WIN XP to
> boot on an HP machine?
>
> TIA

Thanks for your response...Yes... I went through all
gyrations for the boot off of the CD and back to HDD with
no use. Any other ideas that you think might be causing
this to happen?

TIA for your response

Error: "Setup Was Unable To Verify Drive"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822796&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"matt bolan" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message:

|I have an HP machine and I wanted to install WIN XP. So
| I wiped out the content, formatted (through win xp) and
| let xp do all the work. It formatted ok, copied the
| files to the hard drive ok and finished ok. The problem
| is when it reboots; it cannot read form the drive giving
| me an "Error reading from drive" (or something similar).
|
| I made sure that the hard drive is a master and the only
| one in the machine.
|
| I also made sure that the BIOS recognize the hard drive
| (even though I did not change it).
|
| I became desperate and asked a technician. he said the
| hard drive is shot. So I went and bought another 80GB
| hard drive and the same thing happened. I then assumed
| that it might be because the hard drive is too big, so I
| let WIN XP partition the drive for 20GB and install
| itself on that partition, made it active and bootable.
|
| Well... the same thing happened again. I remember the
| good old days when I had the reliable (Packard Bell..
| yeah). I had a similar problem and it turned out that
| the machine expects the boot sector be on track 1 instead
| of 0 (or the reverse). I have not tried this option yet
| because I do not want to waist another 3 hours waiting
| for the friken thing to install.
|
| Is there something special I have to do to get WIN XP to
| boot on an HP machine?
|
| TIA

This is a long shot, but check in your BIOS for Virus Protection. Try
turning it off and attempting to install again. Your BIOS may be
preventing the XP Installation from writing over the boot sector which
will result in the hard disk appearing to not be partitioned or formatted.

----
Nathan McNulty