P4R800-VM Spontaneous Rebooting

DC

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

I have a Celeron D 2.6 GHz, which has a 533 MHz FSB, mounted to an
Asus P4R800-VM. I am experiencing random spontaneous rebooting. The
system otherwise appears to run well.

I suspect the problem is due to the RAM/FSB mismatch. When I
purchased the components I grudgingly agreed to the salesman's
suggestions that I use dual channel PC3200 400 MHz DDRs rather than
the more expensive PC2100 266 MHz DDRs. I'm since come to question
the validity of a lot of what that salesman had to say.

Anyone have any real knowledge of this situation before I bring the
RAM back? Will a RAM speed and CPU FSB mismatch cause a problem like
this with this board?

thanks

dc wrote:
> I have a Celeron D 2.6 GHz, which has a 533 MHz FSB, mounted to an
> Asus P4R800-VM. I am experiencing random spontaneous rebooting. The
> system otherwise appears to run well.
>
> I suspect the problem is due to the RAM/FSB mismatch. When I
> purchased the components I grudgingly agreed to the salesman's
> suggestions that I use dual channel PC3200 400 MHz DDRs rather than
> the more expensive PC2100 266 MHz DDRs. I'm since come to question
> the validity of a lot of what that salesman had to say.
>
> Anyone have any real knowledge of this situation before I bring the
> RAM back? Will a RAM speed and CPU FSB mismatch cause a problem like
> this with this board?
>
> thanks

That memory setup shouldn't be a problem, I can't see any reason why
you'd want/need to run PC2100 memory on that system.

Have you tried running Memtest86 on it? That would probably help nail
down if it was a RAM problem.

However, RAM problems don't tend to cause system reboots - I would be
more likely to suspect the power supply for example..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Manually set the memory speed in BIOS to PC2700/DDR333 - not auto.
Check the memory to see if it is seated in the proper slots (A1,B1) for dual
channel.

"dc" <jdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Celeron D 2.6 GHz, which has a 533 MHz FSB, mounted to an
> Asus P4R800-VM. I am experiencing random spontaneous rebooting. The
> system otherwise appears to run well.
>
> I suspect the problem is due to the RAM/FSB mismatch. When I
> purchased the components I grudgingly agreed to the salesman's
> suggestions that I use dual channel PC3200 400 MHz DDRs rather than
> the more expensive PC2100 266 MHz DDRs. I'm since come to question
> the validity of a lot of what that salesman had to say.
>
> Anyone have any real knowledge of this situation before I bring the
> RAM back? Will a RAM speed and CPU FSB mismatch cause a problem like
> this with this board?
>
> thanks

DC

"Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in
> Manually set the memory speed in BIOS to PC2700/DDR333 - not auto.
> Check the memory to see if it is seated in the proper slots (A1,B1)
> for dual channel.

There are only two DDR slots in the board, and I don't believe there is any
such memory speed setting in the BIOS... the speed is reported, but you
cannot adjust it... I'll double check though.

DC

dc <jdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in
> There are only two DDR slots in the board, and I don't believe there
> is any such memory speed setting in the BIOS... the speed is reported,
> but you cannot adjust it... I'll double check though.

My mistake, there are four DDR slots; however the PC3200 DIMMs are in the
proper A1 and B1 (blue) channels.

I have also double checked the BIOS and confirmed there is no setting to
adjust the memory speed from auto to any manual configuration.

DC

Robert Hancock <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in news:W4GBd.673458$%
k.274277@pd7tw2no:

> However, RAM problems don't tend to cause system reboots - I would be
> more likely to suspect the power supply for example..

It's a brand-new 400 watt PSU... I guess I can swap in another one but
somehow I doubt it is the problem. I've come across a number of posts
about post and reboot problems with this board in Usenet and they mostly
seem memory related. I could be wrong.