installing epson 880 under win xp

graham

hi
i have tried to connect my epson photo 880 printer under
winxp using parallel port. it finds the hardware in
taskbar area and tries to install software. i use either
the original cd or latest from epson web site. however it
wont find and install the software as the set up stops
with the message rpc server is unavailble. i am genrally
running on startup symantec system doctor antivirus safely
remove hardware plus creative sound blaster 2 and nvidia
5200 icons present other items are running under task
manager
epson cannot undersand what i am asking or help me
can anyone out there ??

many thanks with crossed fingers
graham

Graham, go to Control Panel>AdminTools>Services. Scroll to Remote
Procedure Call Service and make sure it's started. Also, look in
Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any Printer Software. Restart
and disable Norton and try installing the software again. Try not to
have anything running in the background.
"graham" <gbranch@scoteq.co.uk> wrote in message
> hi
> i have tried to connect my epson photo 880 printer under
> winxp using parallel port. it finds the hardware in
> taskbar area and tries to install software. i use either
> the original cd or latest from epson web site. however it
> wont find and install the software as the set up stops
> with the message rpc server is unavailble. i am genrally
> running on startup symantec system doctor antivirus safely
> remove hardware plus creative sound blaster 2 and nvidia
> 5200 icons present other items are running under task
> manager
> epson cannot undersand what i am asking or help me
> can anyone out there ??
>
> many thanks with crossed fingers
> graham

Actually, you don't want it to find the software. You want to install
the software FIRST with the printer NOT connected. Then plug in the
printer after you have installed the software and it should find the
drivers.

----
Nathan McNulty