Strange Happenings

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi yall, me again!

My rig has been having a freezing problem the past 2 days...
The system specs are :

Asus A7V400-MX
XP 2000+ (o/c 2.1ghz 16x133fsb)
TZTec 512mb ram (pc2100)
WD 80gb hd
Maxtor 40gb hd
geforce4 mx440 128mb 4x agp
lg dvd rw dl
Mitsumi cdrw
2 x 300watt psu (one for mb and optical drives, other for hds and fans)

Now, I started having problems with the odd bsod, so I figured that the
ram didn't like it at 166mhz fsb, but when I let it down to 133fsb it
has been freezing quite frequently. Memtest86 shows no errors, prime95
gets no errors after running for about 3 hours. Only if I leave my
computer alone for a while, will it freeze. Usually won't happen while
it's being used?

I first suspected the psu's to be going (they're 2 noname psu), because
in speedfan the -12v is being reported as +1.8v at times. With that in
mind, the psu is not blowing out warm air at all, it's actually quite
cool. So, I'm at a loss here?!

TIA.
4 answers Last reply
More about strange happenings
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Browser Joe wrote:
    > 2 x 300watt psu (one for mb and optical drives, other for hds and
    > fans)

    Is that wise?

    I'm not sure if you should connect two switchmode PSUs together. If you
    don't connect them, then there is probably much opportunity for problems
    with signal levels as they need a common ground.

    Just buy one decent PSU and have done with it.

    Ben
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Browser Joe wrote:
    >
    >>2 x 300watt psu (one for mb and optical drives, other for hds and
    >>fans)
    >

    > Is that wise?
    >
    > I'm not sure if you should connect two switchmode PSUs together. If you
    > don't connect them, then there is probably much opportunity for problems
    > with signal levels as they need a common ground.
    >
    > Just buy one decent PSU and have done with it.
    >
    > Ben

    Yeah, I'm realizing that now... It was mainly to tinker with, and it did
    work for quite a while, but now methinks it hath bit the dust! lol
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > Yeah, I'm realizing that now... It was mainly to tinker with, and it did
    > work for quite a while, but now methinks it hath bit the dust! lol

    Any hibernation options enabled in bios or windows ?

    rms
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    rms wrote:
    >>Yeah, I'm realizing that now... It was mainly to tinker with, and it did
    >>work for quite a while, but now methinks it hath bit the dust! lol
    >

    > Any hibernation options enabled in bios or windows ?
    >
    > rms

    None, only power saving deature enabled is turning off monitor
    in place of a screen saver...

    I find it really odd that it just started doing this, but hey, I ordered
    another psu an ultra x-connect 500w. Looks pretty cool, and the suply
    ratings are decent.

Asus Motherboards