A7N8X Deluxe USB 2.0 Support

Hi NG,

I would like to use a "Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2.0" Box on my A7N8X Deluxe Mainboard.

My WinXP SP2 says, that this 2.0 device runs in a slower mode (USB1.1).
Is that correct?, are there any óther tools to find that out?

My BIOS settings for USB are "1.1 and 2.0 support"

The TV Box is connected on port 1, but I have tried all others. 3 other 1.1 devices are also connected to the mainboard.

Thanks

Carsten Remien

--

(Use ROT13 to see my email address)
10 answers Last reply

    In article <33qu8iF42qp54U1@individual.net>, "Remien, Carsten"
    <arjf.erzvra@tzk.vasb> wrote:

    > Hi NG,
    >
    > I would like to use a "Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2.0" Box on my A7N8X
    > Deluxe Mainboard.
    >
    > My WinXP SP2 says, that this 2.0 device runs in a slower mode (USB1.1).
    > Is that correct?, are there any =F3ther tools to find that out?
    >
    > My BIOS settings for USB are "1.1 and 2.0 support"
    >
    > The TV Box is connected on port 1, but I have tried all others. 3 other
    > 1.1 devices are also connected to the mainboard.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Carsten Remien

    How to check for USB2 drivers in Device Manager:
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

    How to clean up USB entries in Safe Mode, so Windows can re-enumerate
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

    For USB2, I believe the minimum requirement is WinXP SP1 and
    Win2K SP3.

    I expect you need to install SP3 or SP4 for this to work.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Hi,

    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:nospam-0401050340190001@192.168.1.177...

    | I expect you need to install SP3 or SP4 for this to work.

    Thanks for the URL´s, I will try this tomorrow.
    Because I´m using XP, SP2 is actually the highest SP.

    Regards, Carsten Remien

    --

    In article <342s2jF45bsibU1@individual.net>, "Remien, Carsten"
    <arjf.erzvra@tzk.vasb> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag =
    >
    > | I expect you need to install SP3 or SP4 for this to work.
    >
    > Thanks for the URL=B4s, I will try this tomorrow.
    > Because I=B4m using XP, SP2 is actually the highest SP.
    >
    > Regards, Carsten Remien

    Sorry, I misread your OS :-)

    Paul

    Found this on nForce forum
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46051&start=0

    Application Note
    nForce2 MCP-T/MCP
    USB 1.1 Device Compatibility

    DA-00822-001_v01 2
    04/08/03 NVIDIA CONFIDENTIAL

    USB Device Compatibility
    This application note addresses the compatibility of the NVIDIA®
    nForce™ MCP and the nForce2 MCP-T and MCP processors with several USB
    devices in the marketplace. The devices listed below exhibit similar
    USB non-compliance.

    • Aztech UM9100-U USB modem
    • Creative Nomad Muvo MP3 player
    • Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen MP3 player
    • SCM video capture device (DCS200)
    • Sonic Blue Rio S30/35/50 MP3 players
    • St. Johns Technology USB2 HDD
    • NuSLIM SUB 2.0 Portable HDD

    Detailed Description
    Customers have reported that several USB devices do not function
    reliably with the NVIDIA MCP processors. NVIDIA has tested them and
    determined they have very large clock jitter and fail the USB1.1 eye
    diagram requirements. Placing any of these devices behind a USB1.1 hub
    does not resolve this issue since the hub will not reclock, but will
    pass the jitter to the MCP. Depending upon the chip used in the USB
    device, a workaround or fix may be available.

    Proposed Solutions
    Several solutions exist depending upon the specific device.

    General Solution
    These devices work with MCP/MCP-T if they are behind a USB2.0 hub.
    Since the USB2.0 hub reclocks, the jitter is not passed through to the
    MCP/MCP-T. This is a general solution for all devices mentioned in
    this document.

    Sigmatel-Based Devices
    Devices that use the Sigmatel STMP3410 part work effectively if a
    firmware update is applied. (Please see the respective websites for
    updated firmware.)
    These devices include:

    • Creative Nomad MuVo MP3 player
    • Creative Nomad Zen MP3 player
    • Sonic Blue Rio S30/35/50 MP3 player

    Note: These devices need to be updated in a non-nForce2 based system
    or there may be device failures while flashing.

    Genesys-Based Devices
    Devices that use Genesys GL811 chips may exhibit a failure if a large
    file is copied. When a file (usually larger than 20 MB) is copied to
    the USB drive, an error is prompted during the copy transfer. This
    causes the drive to disappear from the system device manager. Versions
    20 and beyond are compatible and will not exhibit this failure.
    These devices include:

    • St. John's Technology USB2 HDD
    • NuSLIM SUB 2.0 Portable HDD

    Copyright
    © 2003 by NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved

    Three sites that have the info:
    http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/faq/sff/qa/nForce2_MCP-T_MCP_USB1.1_AppNote.pdf

    http://www.epox.de/_boarddetail/8rda+/nForce2_MCP-T_MCP_USB1.1_AppNote.pdf

    http://www.elito-epox.com/_boarddetail/8rda+/nForce2_MCP-T_MCP_USB1.1_AppNote.pdf

    Final solution appears to be purchase and install a "PCI USB cards
    cheaper and garunteed rather than being a try this solution" per
    posting by 'wonkanoby' at above forum

    I'm still fighting a SanDisk Imagemate SDDR-89 USB 2.0 12-in-1 card
    reader. It won't work with my Windows 2000 SP4/5 A7N8X-E Deluxe 2.0
    with BIOS V.1008. Won't work means the four green lights don't turn on
    and the four extra drives letters don't appear in "Control Panel".
    However, it works fine with W98SE and USB 2.0 PCI card with factory
    driver from 1.0 version CD. I can get several other USB 2.0 devices to
    work off any of the six USB ports - two of which I have extended to
    the front of the chassis.

    Found another refrence at
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/printthread.php?t=7934&page=2&pp=20
    to NEC USB 2.0 driver at
    http://www.techspot.com/redir?target=ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/drivers/usb2/U2v2_1_2_1.exe

    They show up in Device Manager _BUT_ still same problems.

    Guess I'll go by a real PCI USB 2.0 card and say forget it :-(

    John O

    In article <bbudnR9x7Lq434DfRVn-gw@inreach.com>, "J. Oram"
    <norami@unlimited.net> wrote:

    > Found this on nForce forum
    > http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46051&start=0
    > Detailed Description
    > Customers have reported that several USB devices do not function
    > reliably with the NVIDIA MCP processors. NVIDIA has tested them and
    > determined they have very large clock jitter and fail the USB1.1 eye
    > diagram requirements. Placing any of these devices behind a USB1.1 hub
    > does not resolve this issue since the hub will not reclock, but will
    > pass the jitter to the MCP. Depending upon the chip used in the USB
    > device, a workaround or fix may be available.
    > General Solution
    > These devices work with MCP/MCP-T if they are behind a USB2.0 hub.
    > Since the USB2.0 hub reclocks, the jitter is not passed through to the
    > MCP/MCP-T. This is a general solution for all devices mentioned in
    > this document.
    > Copyright
    > © 2003 by NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved
    >

    > Final solution appears to be purchase and install a "PCI USB cards
    > cheaper and garunteed rather than being a try this solution" per
    > posting by 'wonkanoby' at above forum
    >

    > I'm still fighting a SanDisk Imagemate SDDR-89 USB 2.0 12-in-1 card
    > reader. It won't work with my Windows 2000 SP4/5 A7N8X-E Deluxe 2.0
    > with BIOS V.1008. Won't work means the four green lights don't turn on
    > and the four extra drives letters don't appear in "Control Panel".
    > However, it works fine with W98SE and USB 2.0 PCI card with factory
    > driver from 1.0 version CD. I can get several other USB 2.0 devices to
    > work off any of the six USB ports - two of which I have extended to
    > the front of the chassis.
    >
    > Found another refrence at
    > http://www.techspot.com/vb/printthread.php?t=7934&page=2&pp=20
    > to NEC USB 2.0 driver at

    http://www.techspot.com/redir?target=ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/drivers/usb2/U2v2_1_2_1.exe

    > They show up in Device Manager _BUT_ still same problems.
    >
    > Guess I'll go by a real PCI USB 2.0 card and say forget it :-(
    >
    > John O

    The jitter problem was announced a while back. If you already own
    a USB 2.0 hub, then using the hub to clean up jitter is a good
    test. If you don't own a hub, then buying a PCI USB2.0 card is
    definitely the right answer. The advantage of the PCI card, is
    if the problem is really a driver problem or a BIOS problem, the
    symptoms might change with the use of the PCI card. The jitter
    problem only applies to a limited number of external device
    designs. I expect Nvidia has learned how to design a USB
    interface since then.

    Did you try this ?
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

    Paul

    Paul:

    Yes, I took your previous advice on following USBman remove stuff in
    SAFE MODE and that didn't solve the problem either?

    I have added the NEC drivers previous referenced. Thus I have six USB
    items in Device Manager. Each time install SanDisk Imagemate SDDR-89
    USB 2.0 12-in-1 card reader - nothing recognizes the device.

    I also sent question to ASUS tech support and referenced this forum.
    We shall see if they answer?

    No, I have not yet added a PCI USB 2.0 card.
    Does anyone have a brand/model to recommend?

    General thoughts:
    I expect for next mobo choices we'll investigate more fully some of
    the things learned during past year of building a dozen systems based
    on three mobo brands :-)

    IMO discussion lists/forums are clearly more informative than
    website/magazine "reviews". Which are often simply rewrites of a
    manufacturers press release. Or at best a brief build and running a
    few generic middle of the road devices and a few middle of the road
    benchmark utilities.

    Thanks in advance to everyone,

    John O

    In article <MoqdnWJS8smTtoPfRVn-sw@inreach.com>, "J. Oram"
    <norami@unlimited.net> wrote:

    > Paul:
    >
    > Yes, I took your previous advice on following USBman remove stuff in
    > SAFE MODE and that didn't solve the problem either?
    >

    > I have added the NEC drivers previous referenced. Thus I have six USB
    > items in Device Manager. Each time install SanDisk Imagemate SDDR-89
    > USB 2.0 12-in-1 card reader - nothing recognizes the device.
    >

    > I also sent question to ASUS tech support and referenced this forum.
    > We shall see if they answer?
    >

    > No, I have not yet added a PCI USB 2.0 card.
    > Does anyone have a brand/model to recommend?
    >

    > General thoughts:
    > I expect for next mobo choices we'll investigate more fully some of
    > the things learned during past year of building a dozen systems based
    > on three mobo brands :-)
    >
    > IMO discussion lists/forums are clearly more informative than
    > website/magazine "reviews". Which are often simply rewrites of a
    > manufacturers press release. Or at best a brief build and running a
    > few generic middle of the road devices and a few middle of the road
    > benchmark utilities.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to everyone,
    >
    > John O

    There are other people with USB problems on the A7N8X.

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=IQasa.40621%24M81.10215%40news02.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com

    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27104&highlight=6in1

    The best info, seems to be on the private forums. At least when
    there is a recognized problem, you get more feedback from people
    with the problem.

    In terms of USB cards, it would take a lot of Google searches
    to build a consensus on which cards are good or bad. It is probably
    easier for you to locate a product, and them type the model
    number into Google, and see if there are any known problems with it.

    As for review sites, they cannot possibly test enough other products
    with a motherboard, to find problems like the Nvidia jitter problem.
    The only way to detect such problems, is to wait many months before
    buying a new product. When a product is mature, much more is known
    about its shortcomings.

    Paul

    Paul:

    Another thank you for your excellent research.

    Appears the better solution is add a USB 2.0 hub. I found consistently
    positive reviews on the "Targus (PAUH212U) 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub".

    Has anyone had any experiences with this brand/model of USB 2.0 Hub on
    their A7N8X mobo?

    John O

    Paul wrote:

    > In article <MoqdnWJS8smTtoPfRVn-sw@inreach.com>, "J. Oram"
    > <norami@unlimited.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Paul:
    >>
    >>Yes, I took your previous advice on following USBman remove stuff in
    >>SAFE MODE and that didn't solve the problem either?
    >>

    >>I have added the NEC drivers previous referenced. Thus I have six USB
    >>items in Device Manager. Each time install SanDisk Imagemate SDDR-89
    >>USB 2.0 12-in-1 card reader - nothing recognizes the device.
    >>

    >>I also sent question to ASUS tech support and referenced this forum.
    >>We shall see if they answer?
    >>

    >>No, I have not yet added a PCI USB 2.0 card.
    >>Does anyone have a brand/model to recommend?
    >>

    >>General thoughts:
    >>I expect for next mobo choices we'll investigate more fully some of
    >>the things learned during past year of building a dozen systems based
    >>on three mobo brands :-)
    >>
    >>IMO discussion lists/forums are clearly more informative than
    >>website/magazine "reviews". Which are often simply rewrites of a
    >>manufacturers press release. Or at best a brief build and running a
    >>few generic middle of the road devices and a few middle of the road
    >>benchmark utilities.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance to everyone,
    >>
    >>John O
    >

    > There are other people with USB problems on the A7N8X.
    >
    > http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=IQasa.40621%24M81.10215%40news02.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com
    >
    > http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27104&highlight=6in1
    >
    > The best info, seems to be on the private forums. At least when
    > there is a recognized problem, you get more feedback from people
    > with the problem.
    >
    > In terms of USB cards, it would take a lot of Google searches
    > to build a consensus on which cards are good or bad. It is probably
    > easier for you to locate a product, and them type the model
    > number into Google, and see if there are any known problems with it.
    >
    > As for review sites, they cannot possibly test enough other products
    > with a motherboard, to find problems like the Nvidia jitter problem.
    > The only way to detect such problems, is to wait many months before
    > buying a new product. When a product is mature, much more is known
    > about its shortcomings.
    >
    > Paul

    What service pack version do you have?
    "J. Oram" <norami@unlimited.net> wrote in message
    > Paul:
    >
    > Another thank you for your excellent research.
    >
    > Appears the better solution is add a USB 2.0 hub. I found consistently
    > positive reviews on the "Targus (PAUH212U) 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub".
    >
    > Has anyone had any experiences with this brand/model of USB 2.0 Hub on
    > their A7N8X mobo?
    >
    > John O
    >
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >> In article <MoqdnWJS8smTtoPfRVn-sw@inreach.com>, "J. Oram"
    >> <norami@unlimited.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Paul:
    >>>
    >>>Yes, I took your previous advice on following USBman remove stuff in SAFE
    >>>MODE and that didn't solve the problem either?
    >>>

    >>>I have added the NEC drivers previous referenced. Thus I have six USB
    >>>items in Device Manager. Each time install SanDisk Imagemate SDDR-89 USB
    >>>2.0 12-in-1 card reader - nothing recognizes the device.
    >>>

    >>>I also sent question to ASUS tech support and referenced this forum. We
    >>>shall see if they answer?
    >>>

    >>>No, I have not yet added a PCI USB 2.0 card.
    >>>Does anyone have a brand/model to recommend?
    >>>

    >>>General thoughts:
    >>>I expect for next mobo choices we'll investigate more fully some of the
    >>>things learned during past year of building a dozen systems based on
    >>>three mobo brands :-)
    >>>
    >>>IMO discussion lists/forums are clearly more informative than
    >>>website/magazine "reviews". Which are often simply rewrites of a
    >>>manufacturers press release. Or at best a brief build and running a few
    >>>generic middle of the road devices and a few middle of the road benchmark
    >>>utilities.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance to everyone,
    >>>
    >>>John O
    >>

    >> There are other people with USB problems on the A7N8X.
    >> http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=IQasa.40621%24M81.10215%40news02.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com
    >>
    >> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27104&highlight=6in1
    >>
    >> The best info, seems to be on the private forums. At least when there is
    >> a recognized problem, you get more feedback from people
    >> with the problem.
    >>
    >> In terms of USB cards, it would take a lot of Google searches
    >> to build a consensus on which cards are good or bad. It is probably
    >> easier for you to locate a product, and them type the model
    >> number into Google, and see if there are any known problems with it.
    >>
    >> As for review sites, they cannot possibly test enough other products
    >> with a motherboard, to find problems like the Nvidia jitter problem.
    >> The only way to detect such problems, is to wait many months before
    >> buying a new product. When a product is mature, much more is known
    >> about its shortcomings.
    >>
    >> Paul

    As previously mentioned I'm using Windows 2000 PRO with SP 4 and all
    updates thru the Feb. 2005 releases from Micro$oft. All of which I
    deleted during testing of the USB problems and reinstalled.

    Also fired up on table the second A7N8X-E Deluxe Rev. 2.0 motoheroard
    from out of box and moved everything over to it. I only found the
    problem with SanDisk Imagemate SDDR-89 USB 2.0 12-in-1 card reader.
    The other USB 2.0 devices I own work fine. Thus same results.

    So if you follow back up this thread you'll see there is an admitted
    fundamental 'jitter problem' in the USB ports with the combo of this
    motherboard and chipset implementation which now appears to be
    consistent on the two A7N8X-E Deluxe Rev. 2.0 we own.

    Check out this article
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/printthread.php?t=7934&page=1&pp=20
    written 09-27-2003 and you'll see " a list of devices known to have
    problems with this board :
    * 6in1 Internal Reader 3 1/2 usb1, Flash card reader card X4-USB
    * MP3 Player DAP 128 Mb (Additek)
    * PNY 6in1 Player ( metallic grey look ) which doesn't even work on
    the a7n266-e
    * Creative Muvo 128Mb ( Solution : flash with new firmware update,
    instructions contained in ReadMe file )
    * The Archos JukeBox 20
    * Compact Flash USB HAMA Player
    * CF USB Player from Crucial"

    The troubleshooting techniques mentioned in the above article are same
    as 'Paul' suggested. Which have not cleared up the problem on my two
    mobos.
    Thus I'm back to the options of testing a PCI USB 2.0 card and a hub -
    probably "Targus (PAUH212U) 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub".

    Both of which will wait until later in the month when I have time to
    play with techy testing.

    John O

Asus Support Motherboards