Changing Windows main hard disc

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I've been running windows (and all my other software) on
a 13GB hard disc with a second 6GB disk just holding MP3
and Jpegs. small disc has failed and i have to replace
probably with an 80 or 120 GB disc. Is there any way to
transfer all my windows files, other software etc onto
the new disc, so i can use the smaler 13 GB disc as my
Data disc rather than waste most of the 120 GB.
Any suggestions welcome
3 answers Last reply
More about changing windows main hard disc
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes, put in your Windows XP CD, the menu should pop up, then select
    additional options, then click on File and Settings Transfer. It will
    make a backup of all your files and settings. Now plug in the new
    harddrive as the Master at the end of the IDE cable, plug in the old
    harddrive as Slave in the middle. Now install XP on the new harddrive
    and then use the same File and Settings Transfer Wizard to put your
    files and settings back on your new installation ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty


    Mike Palastanga wrote:
    > I've been running windows (and all my other software) on
    > a 13GB hard disc with a second 6GB disk just holding MP3
    > and Jpegs. small disc has failed and i have to replace
    > probably with an 80 or 120 GB disc. Is there any way to
    > transfer all my windows files, other software etc onto
    > the new disc, so i can use the smaler 13 GB disc as my
    > Data disc rather than waste most of the 120 GB.
    > Any suggestions welcome
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    If you buy a New Maxtor disk it comes with great utilities onm a bootable CD.

    This will format, partition and clone your existing hard drive.

    When finished reconfigure the new drive as master and you can reboot!

    All done in less than the time it takes to install XP

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Yes, put in your Windows XP CD, the menu should pop up, then select
    > additional options, then click on File and Settings Transfer. It will
    > make a backup of all your files and settings. Now plug in the new
    > harddrive as the Master at the end of the IDE cable, plug in the old
    > harddrive as Slave in the middle. Now install XP on the new harddrive
    > and then use the same File and Settings Transfer Wizard to put your
    > files and settings back on your new installation ;)
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    >
    > Mike Palastanga wrote:
    > > I've been running windows (and all my other software) on
    > > a 13GB hard disc with a second 6GB disk just holding MP3
    > > and Jpegs. small disc has failed and i have to replace
    > > probably with an 80 or 120 GB disc. Is there any way to
    > > transfer all my windows files, other software etc onto
    > > the new disc, so i can use the smaler 13 GB disc as my
    > > Data disc rather than waste most of the 120 GB.
    > > Any suggestions welcome
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Many new harddrives come with a similar software program. Maxtor uses
    MaxBlast, Seagate uses SeaTools, etc. That is an excellent option, but
    if it doesn't work, you can try the other method too ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty


    BAR wrote:
    > If you buy a New Maxtor disk it comes with great utilities onm a bootable CD.
    >
    > This will format, partition and clone your existing hard drive.
    >
    > When finished reconfigure the new drive as master and you can reboot!
    >
    > All done in less than the time it takes to install XP
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Yes, put in your Windows XP CD, the menu should pop up, then select
    >>additional options, then click on File and Settings Transfer. It will
    >>make a backup of all your files and settings. Now plug in the new
    >>harddrive as the Master at the end of the IDE cable, plug in the old
    >>harddrive as Slave in the middle. Now install XP on the new harddrive
    >>and then use the same File and Settings Transfer Wizard to put your
    >>files and settings back on your new installation ;)
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>
    >>
    >>Mike Palastanga wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've been running windows (and all my other software) on
    >>>a 13GB hard disc with a second 6GB disk just holding MP3
    >>>and Jpegs. small disc has failed and i have to replace
    >>>probably with an 80 or 120 GB disc. Is there any way to
    >>>transfer all my windows files, other software etc onto
    >>>the new disc, so i can use the smaler 13 GB disc as my
    >>>Data disc rather than waste most of the 120 GB.
    >>>Any suggestions welcome
    >>
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Software Windows XP