Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

After I cleaned my keyboard, I hookrd it back up to the computer and the computer speaker beeps in a rythmical fashion. The keyboard is not functional at all. When I usa another keyboard, it is fine. When cleaning the keyboard, I popped of all the keys. It is possible I got some cleaning agent in there. (not too much though) When I disconnected the keyboard, the computer was updating McAfee anti-virus.

You probably damaged one or more of the contacts when removing keycaps.
There are tools made just for that purpose, and if you did not use one, it
is very possible that you did damage one or more receptacles. One other
thing to check...on many of the cheaper keyboards (and yours is in that
category) there is often a metal retention wire in the vicinity of the
spacebar that must be positioned correctly or it will give a keyboard error.

I do agree with the others who have answered...just go out and treat
yourself to a new keyboard...Logitech makes some really nice keyboards and
mice, and they are generally of higher quality than the other stuff on the
shelf. Microsoft makes some nice keyboards, but every MS keyboard I have
ever used has had the legs underneath the keyboard break off...they are
always flimsy.

Bobby

"Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I cleaned my keyboard, I hookrd it back up to the computer and the
> computer speaker beeps in a rythmical fashion. The keyboard is not
> functional at all. When I usa another keyboard, it is fine. When cleaning
> the keyboard, I popped of all the keys. It is possible I got some cleaning
> agent in there. (not too much though) When I disconnected the keyboard,
> the computer was updating McAfee anti-virus.

bar

Buy a new keyboard.

Without the make / model it's impossible to advise on what may work to fix it.

However save a bucket load of time = money amd treat yourself to a new Microsoft keyboard.

"Chuck" wrote:

> After I cleaned my keyboard, I hookrd it back up to the computer and the computer speaker beeps in a rythmical fashion. The keyboard is not functional at all. When I usa another keyboard, it is fine. When cleaning the keyboard, I popped of all the keys. It is possible I got some cleaning agent in there. (not too much though) When I disconnected the keyboard, the computer was updating McAfee anti-virus.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

The keyboard is an HP PS/2 that came with the Pavilion. It is only 1.5 y/o. On my other KB, I held down 5 buttons then booted it up and experienced the same problem. Therefore, some keys are stuck. So I popped off all the buttons but it still made the same sound and didn't work.

"BAR" wrote:

> Buy a new keyboard.
>
> Without the make / model it's impossible to advise on what may work to fix it.
>
> However save a bucket load of time = money amd treat yourself to a new Microsoft keyboard.
>
> "Chuck" wrote:
>
> > After I cleaned my keyboard, I hookrd it back up to the computer and the computer speaker beeps in a rythmical fashion. The keyboard is not functional at all. When I usa another keyboard, it is fine. When cleaning the keyboard, I popped of all the keys. It is possible I got some cleaning agent in there. (not too much though) When I disconnected the keyboard, the computer was updating McAfee anti-virus.

That is strange because you can almost drop
a bucket of water on the keyboard with no ill
effects. Maybe it just got old.

--
Bob M.

"Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I cleaned my keyboard, I hookrd it back up to the computer and the
computer speaker beeps in a rythmical fashion. The keyboard is not
functional at all. When I usa another keyboard, it is fine. When cleaning
the keyboard, I popped of all the keys. It is possible I got some cleaning
agent in there. (not too much though) When I disconnected the keyboard, the
computer was updating McAfee anti-virus.

PS/2 devices are NOT hot-swappable. You may have damaged
the port.