running xp installed on one pc hdd on another pc

hay ......

why cant i start windows xp installed on one computer and when i take

the hardisk on another computer the xp does'nt boot ? it gives me a

strange blue screen error ......... although the master etc etc settng

are all ok i hve tried booting in all the availab advanced options

including safe mode and all othres ..... i have never been accross this

type of error in windowx 98 or me .. except that of reinstalling the

graphics or sounds drivers .....(dudh xp wont even start whats that

hell ).... i badly need to start the xp in my harddisk on anohter pc

please give me any suggestions or point me to some site that may help

me ??? i want to avoid the installaion or repair installaion as i will

use the harddisk back on my own pc so there too iw ould need to have an

installion again so i dont want to ahve this double jeopardy

............ any method would be greatly appreciated

Other than your post being hard to read, here is the reason. The IDE
controllers and hardware are all different when you plug the harddrive
into another computer. Windows cannot handle this without repairing the
installation. You have 2 Options:

1) Install the harddrive as a Slave (Secondary Harddrive in the middle
of the IDE Cable) and use a Master (Different Harddrive at the end of
the cable) with an XP installation.

2) Do a repair installation to the drive, then do a repair installation
when you put it back into your computer. This is going to be your best
bet if you don't have two harddrives.

----
Nathan McNulty

msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
> hay ......
>
> why cant i start windows xp installed on one computer and when i take
>
> the hardisk on another computer the xp does'nt boot ? it gives me a
>
> strange blue screen error ......... although the master etc etc settng
>
> are all ok i hve tried booting in all the availab advanced options
>
> including safe mode and all othres ..... i have never been accross this
>
> type of error in windowx 98 or me .. except that of reinstalling the
>
> graphics or sounds drivers .....(dudh xp wont even start whats that
>
> hell ).... i badly need to start the xp in my harddisk on anohter pc
>
> please give me any suggestions or point me to some site that may help
>
> me ??? i want to avoid the installaion or repair installaion as i will
>
> use the harddisk back on my own pc so there too iw ould need to have an
>
> installion again so i dont want to ahve this double jeopardy
>
> ........... any method would be greatly appreciated

Greetings --

The "why" is quite simple, really: you've pulled the proverbial
hardware rug out from under the OS. (If you don't like -- or get --
the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a Cape Cod style home and
then setting it down onto a Ranch style foundation. It just isn't
going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it, is not nearly as
"promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any old hardware
configuration you throw at it. On installation it "tailors" itself to
the specific hardware found. This is one of the reasons that the
entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable than the Win9x
group.

FYI, for future reference, comparing WinXP to Win98 is a lot like
comparing a Lexus to a Yugo -- any similarities are almost entirely
superficial.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
_before_ starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm