Wireless distance far too short

A friend just had VOIP and wireless netowrking set up at home, with a
Linksys wireless router. If he is in the same room as the router his laptop
links to the Internet quickly, but if he goes more than about 25 feet away
his connection slows to a crawl. I thought wireless 11g covered 100 to 150
feet away from the router.

It's an ordinary house, nothing special about the walls or anything.
Are there settings to change?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mich

802.11b and 802.11g networks are subject to RF interference which can
greatly reduce their range. 802.11g networks operate in the 2.4GHz band and
can be affected by other devices that use this band such as some cordless
cell phones. Various BlueTooth devices can also degrade your wireless
signal.

You should only experience interference from devices such as microwave
ovens, cordless phones when these devices are being used.

If your problem is more persistent than that, then my next guess would be
interference with another wireless network close by. You can try to solve
this problem by selecting a different channel number on your wireless access
point.

Other sources of signal attenuation in your home could be due to various
construction materials such foil insulation in the walls, any kind of metal
or even lead based paint. One way to solve this problem is to have multiple
access points in your home, or to have some sort of wireless repeater. You
can also experiment with the placement of your current access point.

Good luck!
--
Alan Muller
Software Design Engineer in Test

purposes only.

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>A friend just had VOIP and wireless netowrking set up at home, with a
>Linksys wireless router. If he is in the same room as the router his
>laptop links to the Internet quickly, but if he goes more than about 25
>feet away his connection slows to a crawl. I thought wireless 11g covered
>100 to 150 feet away from the router.
>
> It's an ordinary house, nothing special about the walls or anything.
> Are there settings to change?
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Mich

Could always try an aerial plugged into the AP. You can buy an Omni one or
a directional one if you want to focus the signal in a particular direction.
The focused one will likely reach farther than the Omni one but only in one
direction.

--
Regards
Ken......................

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
> A friend just had VOIP and wireless netowrking set up at home, with a
> Linksys wireless router. If he is in the same room as the router his
laptop
> links to the Internet quickly, but if he goes more than about 25 feet away
> his connection slows to a crawl. I thought wireless 11g covered 100 to
150
> feet away from the router.
>
> It's an ordinary house, nothing special about the walls or anything.
> Are there settings to change?
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Mich

Make sure that you are not operating either side of sunlight-reflecting
glass(as with modern double glazing/patio doors) - these will reflect rather
than permit RF passage significantly (60%+ in my case). Also try antenna
positioned at 45deg to vertical to assist with RF passge through brickwork.

Paul