XP doesn't recognize CDRW connected to USB

My Creative cd writer works OK when connected inside the computer.
I need to help a friend download all her data from a failing notebook,
which has only USB outlets
To do that I removed my cd writer and installed it into an external USB box.
My computer does not recognize the cd writer, when it's connected to USB port. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 service pack 1.
I'd appreciate any advice on how to get the computer recoginze cd writer connected to USB port.
Thanks in advance, Adam
5 answers Last reply
More about doesn recognize cdrw connected

    Hello

    Well their is not guarantee that will work, and it could be
    more of an issue with your internal drive and the externalbox
    could be a compatibilty issue with both devices.

    Al

    AdamW wrote:

    > My Creative cd writer works OK when connected inside the computer.
    > I need to help a friend download all her data from a failing notebook,
    > which has only USB outlets
    > To do that I removed my cd writer and installed it into an external USB box.
    > My computer does not recognize the cd writer, when it's connected to USB port. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 service pack 1.
    > I'd appreciate any advice on how to get the computer recoginze cd writer connected to USB port.
    > Thanks in advance, Adam

    Hi,

    Is the external rack is self-powered?
    If it is not self-powered, it may not work as the notebook USB port cannot supply sufficient power to the ext. Cd-rom drive.

    You said the notebook is failing, are you meaning that the hdd is failing?
    If yes, i would suggest you to copy all the files from the notebook to an ext. USB Hdd instead of by burning to CDR.

    Peter

    --
    Peter

    "Alvin Brown" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Well their is not guarantee that will work, and it could be
    > more of an issue with your internal drive and the externalbox
    > could be a compatibilty issue with both devices.
    >
    > Al
    >

    > AdamW wrote:
    >
    > > My Creative cd writer works OK when connected inside the computer.
    > > I need to help a friend download all her data from a failing notebook,
    > > which has only USB outlets
    > > To do that I removed my cd writer and installed it into an external USB box.
    > > My computer does not recognize the cd writer, when it's connected to USB port. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 service pack 1.
    > > I'd appreciate any advice on how to get the computer recoginze cd writer connected to USB port.
    > > Thanks in advance, Adam

    Hi Peter,
    Thanks for your reply.
    The USB external box with CD writer is powered from 120v outlet.
    And yes, it's HDD that's failing on the notebook.
    I also have another external USB box powered from 120v outlet
    with 80GB HD inside.
    Is there anything I need to do to have the computer recognize the external HD other then plugging it into USB port?
    Thanks, Adam

    "Peter" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is the external rack is self-powered?
    > If it is not self-powered, it may not work as the notebook USB port cannot supply sufficient power to the ext. Cd-rom drive.
    >
    > You said the notebook is failing, are you meaning that the hdd is failing?
    > If yes, i would suggest you to copy all the files from the notebook to an ext. USB Hdd instead of by burning to CDR.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    >

    > "Alvin Brown" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Well their is not guarantee that will work, and it could be
    > > more of an issue with your internal drive and the externalbox
    > > could be a compatibilty issue with both devices.
    > >
    > > Al
    > >

    > > AdamW wrote:
    > >
    > > > My Creative cd writer works OK when connected inside the computer.
    > > > I need to help a friend download all her data from a failing notebook,
    > > > which has only USB outlets
    > > > To do that I removed my cd writer and installed it into an external USB box.
    > > > My computer does not recognize the cd writer, when it's connected to USB port. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 service pack 1.
    > > > I'd appreciate any advice on how to get the computer recoginze cd writer connected to USB port.
    > > > Thanks in advance, Adam

    Hi Peter,
    Thanks for your reply.
    The USB external box with cd writer is powered from 120v outlet.
    You're right, it's HD that's failing in her notebook.
    I have another external USB box with 80GB HD, also powered from 120v outlet.
    Is there anything I need to do in order for her notebook to recognize the external HD, other then plugging it into the USB port?
    Thanks, Adam

    "Peter" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is the external rack is self-powered?
    > If it is not self-powered, it may not work as the notebook USB port cannot supply sufficient power to the ext. Cd-rom drive.
    >
    > You said the notebook is failing, are you meaning that the hdd is failing?
    > If yes, i would suggest you to copy all the files from the notebook to an ext. USB Hdd instead of by burning to CDR.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    >

    > "Alvin Brown" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Well their is not guarantee that will work, and it could be
    > > more of an issue with your internal drive and the externalbox
    > > could be a compatibilty issue with both devices.
    > >
    > > Al
    > >

    > > AdamW wrote:
    > >
    > > > My Creative cd writer works OK when connected inside the computer.
    > > > I need to help a friend download all her data from a failing notebook,
    > > > which has only USB outlets
    > > > To do that I removed my cd writer and installed it into an external USB box.
    > > > My computer does not recognize the cd writer, when it's connected to USB port. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 service pack 1.
    > > > I'd appreciate any advice on how to get the computer recoginze cd writer connected to USB port.
    > > > Thanks in advance, Adam

    Hi Al,

    Thanks for your reply.
    I went to dealer where I bought the USB external box for CDRW. He checked it on his computer and my old usb 1.0 cdrw is not compatible with the new usb 2.0 externa box.
    So you were right, it was a compatibilty problem. I'll go with Peter's suggestion and use 80GB hard drive is usb external box and hope this will work.

    Adam

    "Alvin Brown" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Well their is not guarantee that will work, and it could be
    > more of an issue with your internal drive and the externalbox
    > could be a compatibilty issue with both devices.
    >
    > Al
    >

    > AdamW wrote:
    >
    > > My Creative cd writer works OK when connected inside the computer.
    > > I need to help a friend download all her data from a failing notebook,
    > > which has only USB outlets
    > > To do that I removed my cd writer and installed it into an external USB box.
    > > My computer does not recognize the cd writer, when it's connected to USB port. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 service pack 1.
    > > I'd appreciate any advice on how to get the computer recoginze cd writer connected to USB port.
    > > Thanks in advance, Adam

Computers CD-Rom USB Windows XP