Does Dell make its own motherboards?

lem

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

Lem wrote:
> Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
> motherboards?
>
> I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
> a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
> available.
>
> ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
> mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
> quirks.

They don't make their own boards, but they do have boards made for them
(usually by Intel) to their specs. I don't think they do the nonstandard
power connector anymore, but they do still do the nonstandard front
panel controls connector. Also, some boards have had a somewhat
nonstandard shape which may prevent replacing with a standard ATX board.

Essentially, don't count on being able to change out the motherboard in
the original case..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Lem wrote:

> Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
> motherboards?
>
> I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
> a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
> available.
>
> ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
> mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
> quirks.

most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
Get a clone.

Ed

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:14:40 GMT, Gordon Scott <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca>
wrote:

>Lem wrote:
>>
>> Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
>> motherboards?
>>
>> I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
>> a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
>> available.
>>
>> ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
>> mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
>> quirks.
>
>most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
>Get a clone.

Plus the BIOS usually has 75% of the features/options pre-set/disabled
that you will find on the same/similar mobo you can buy off the shelf.
Ed

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Dell does not make its own motherboards.
But they are made to its specifications.

95D3C039A8FB6D5E712@130.133.1.4...

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Lem wrote:
>>
>> Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
>> motherboards?
>>
>> I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
>> a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
>> available.
>>
>> ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
>> mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
>> quirks.
>
> most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
> Get a clone.

A company called Hon Hai makes them in China

"Lem" <z@mail.com> wrote in message news:95D3C039A8FB6D5E712@130.133.1.4...
> Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
> motherboards?
>
> I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
> a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
> available.
>
> ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
> mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
> quirks.

If your ever considering "looking under the bonnet", or peeking at the
BIOS - don't do Dell!

Pete

FG wrote:

> Dell does not make its own motherboards.
> But they are made to its specifications.

But there's a range of possibilities in that statement.

Any OEM of any significance has motherboards (and other hardware)
"made to its own specifications" but in many cases that simply means
they take the vendor's (say Intel's) spec. and incorporate it as their
own. They then order parts to this (their own) spec.

The advantage for the OEM is that it freezes the vendor's spec for the
board so that they can't make subsequent changes without the knowledge
and agreement (by a corresponding spec change) of the oem. This is a
very common practice amongst oems in all industries.

In other cases, large oem's do the whole design job in house, and
have someone make it for them (or make it themselves).

Venom

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
Build it yourself using good brand name hardware and build it the way you
want it. You will be very pleased with the results.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Dell uses PROPRIETARY motherboards. They are NOT standard.

--
DaveW

Robert Hancock wrote:
> Lem wrote:
>
>> Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own motherboards?
>>
>> I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
>> a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
>> available.
>>
>> ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
>> mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
>> quirks.
>

> They don't make their own boards, but they do have boards made for them
> (usually by Intel)

Intel hasn't made a motherboard for about 6 years now !

There was a big hubbub in the IT/tech news about it at
the time - how could everyone have forgotten already ?

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:05:17 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Robert Hancock wrote:
>> Lem wrote:
>>
>>> Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own motherboards?
>>>
>>> I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
>>> a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
>>> available.
>>>
>>> ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
>>> mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
>>> quirks.
>>

>> They don't make their own boards, but they do have boards made for them
>> (usually by Intel)
>
>Intel hasn't made a motherboard for about 6 years now !

Really? So these two dual-Prestonia/Lindenhurst server boards that we got from
Intel (one is a "Roadrunner" and the other is a "Coyote") don't actually
exist? Wow - that's a scary reality! ;-)

>There was a big hubbub in the IT/tech news about it at
>the time - how could everyone have forgotten already ?

Possibly because it wasn't true?

/daytripper

daytripper wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:05:17 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>Robert Hancock wrote:

>>>They don't make their own boards, but they do have boards made for them
>>>(usually by Intel)
>>
>>Intel hasn't made a motherboard for about 6 years now !
>

> Really? So these two dual-Prestonia/Lindenhurst server boards that we got from
> Intel (one is a "Roadrunner" and the other is a "Coyote") don't actually
> exist? Wow - that's a scary reality! ;-)

You weren't paying attention. I didn't say Intel
wasn't selling motherboards - I said they weren't
/making/ them.

>>There was a big hubbub in the IT/tech news about it at
>>the time - how could everyone have forgotten already ?
>

> Possibly because it wasn't true?
>
> /daytripper

gb

"Venom" <Viper@Mailhouse.com> wrote in message
> Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.

Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I have
chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might be that I
am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that the Dells do the
job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built than
the price at which I can buy the parts.

Your generalisation is a bit idiotic.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

In article <41da6c8e@news1.homechoice.co.uk>, NOTsomeone@microsoft.com,
a.k.a GB says...

> "Venom" <Viper@Mailhouse.com> wrote in message
> > Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
>
> Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I have
> chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might be that I
> am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that the Dells do the
> job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built than
> the price at which I can buy the parts.

20% for not being able to support them *properly* when the machine goes
down is worth it is it?

"But I have 3 year on-site warranty" you say

Good luck then.

Personally, i'd spend the extra 20% (which is how much on a home brew
machine, £100?) and be able to replace stock parts.

Buying Dell is false economy, IMO

Tx2 wrote:
> In article <41da6c8e@news1.homechoice.co.uk>,
> NOTsomeone@microsoft.com, a.k.a GB says...
>>
>> "Venom" <Viper@Mailhouse.com> wrote in message
>>> Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
>>
>> Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I
>> have chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might
>> be that I am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that
>> the Dells do the job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less
>> to buy in ready-built than the price at which I can buy the parts.
>

> 20% for not being able to support them *properly* when the machine
> goes down is worth it is it?
>
> "But I have 3 year on-site warranty" you say
>
> Good luck then.
>
> Personally, i'd spend the extra 20% (which is how much on a home brew
> machine, £100?) and be able to replace stock parts.
>
> Buying Dell is false economy, IMO

Remember you need to factor in the time taken to spec, order, build, test,
run-in the system, install the operating system etc. etc. your £100 has just
jumped to £500 at least (remember to also factor in the additional accounts
required to source parts from more than one supplier).

Keep well,

Will
--
Will Reeve

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:22:22 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>daytripper wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:05:17 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>>Intel hasn't made a motherboard for about 6 years now !
>>

>> Really? So these two dual-Prestonia/Lindenhurst server boards that we got from
>> Intel (one is a "Roadrunner" and the other is a "Coyote") don't actually
>> exist? Wow - that's a scary reality! ;-)
>
>You weren't paying attention. I didn't say Intel
>wasn't selling motherboards - I said they weren't
>/making/ them.

Define "make". Do you mean simply that Intel doesn't have any board shops of
their own and thus contracts out fab and assembly?

If that's it, I must have missed what significance was being attached...

/daytripper

daytripper wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:22:22 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>daytripper wrote:

>>>Really? So these two dual-Prestonia/Lindenhurst server boards that we got from
>>>Intel (one is a "Roadrunner" and the other is a "Coyote") don't actually
>>>exist? Wow - that's a scary reality! ;-)
>>
>>You weren't paying attention. I didn't say Intel
>>wasn't selling motherboards - I said they weren't
>>/making/ them.
>

> Define "make". Do you mean simply that Intel doesn't have any board shops of
> their own and thus contracts out fab and assembly?

That is what I meant.

However, I should have qualified it a bit.
Intel no longer makes boards for x86 but I
have no idea if they make any for Itanic.

> If that's it, I must have missed what significance was being attached...

The significance goes back to someone else's statement
that Intel makes motherboards for Dell. Intel contracts
out - just like Dell.

As a matter of fact, the reasons Intel cited for getting
out of the x86 motherboard market were low profit margins
combined with their failure to land any of the big OEMs as
a customer.

On 04 Jan 2005, GB wrote:

> Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet,
> recently, I have chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office.
> One reason might be that I am, as you say, an idiot. The other
> reason might be that the Dells do the job I need for the office,
> and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built than the price at
> which I can buy the parts.

I've also noticed that Dell have aggressive pricing and that no
matter how much I shop around for cheap components and software, I am
unlikely to match a Dell for price compared to a PC I build myself.

I have the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that the component
qulaity and the build quality of a Dell is pretty decent. Sure it is
not going to be as good as a very carefully chosen PC put together by
a home contructor. But as a mass-market PC I have the impression
that Dell is rather good.

ISTR that reliability too is better than average.

In article <41da9c68$0$14585$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
will@reeve.org.uk, a.k.a Will Reeve says...

> Remember you need to factor in the time taken to spec, order, build, test,
> run-in the system, install the operating system etc. etc. your £100 has just
> jumped to £500 at least (remember to also factor in the additional accounts
> required to source parts from more than one supplier).

I disagree.

I can build and have a system up and running in about half a day.

Don't tell me Dell's quality control is any better than mine either,
'cos I know from experience in setting up half a dozen or more systems
that it isn't.

Sourcing the parts for a self-build? - an hour, maybe two - done over
coffee of course.

So, assume a day spent sourcing, building and installing.

Sourcing and installing still apply with the Dell (let alone how long
you take checking and double checking the specs before you hit "BUY")

Of course, you haven't factored in the time you'd spend on the phone to
Dell trying to convince them an engineer is needed when it goes wrong,
with them arguing the toss, etc etc etc.

But, YMMV, I'll personally never buy a Dell because today's convenience
becomes tomorrow's headache.

> Keep well

Why thank you. You too...

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

In article <95D4A64E6FB1FD5E712@130.133.1.4>, z@mail.com, a.k.a Lem
says...

> I've also noticed that Dell have aggressive pricing and that no
> matter how much I shop around for cheap components and software, I am
> unlikely to match a Dell for price compared to a PC I build myself.

Depends on what components you select. There's nothing 'fancy' in any
Dell's I've ever seen.

> I have the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that the component
> qulaity and the build quality of a Dell is pretty decent. Sure it is
> not going to be as good as a very carefully chosen PC put together by
> a home contructor. But as a mass-market PC I have the impression
> that Dell is rather good.

Yes, as a mass market producer they probably are. Depends if you want to
be a mass market consumer, reliant on mass market support of course.

But so like everything in life, buying cheap can often mean get nasty.

YMMV

I'm not saying don't buy Dell - I simply believe it to be a false
economy to do so based on what i've read here thus far. Personally, I
prefer my equipment to be of better quality, and something I can
directly support.

> ISTR that reliability too is better than average

Than average what?

On 04 Jan 2005, Tx2 wrote:

>> ISTR that reliability too is better than average
>
> Than average what?

Dell's reliability is often said to better than the average. See:

17th Annual Reader Satisfaction Survey
click on links like 'Survey Results'

gb

"Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote in message
In article <41da6c8e@news1.homechoice.co.uk>, NOTsomeone@microsoft.com,
a.k.a GB says...

> "Venom" <Viper@Mailhouse.com> wrote in message
> > Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
>
> Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I have
> chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might be that I
> am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that the Dells do the
> job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built
> than
> the price at which I can buy the parts.

> 20% for not being able to support them *properly* when the machine goes
> down is worth it is it?

Maybe not. We'll see. My experience is that PCs don't break very often.
Actually, I'll rephrase that. The PCs at the office never break. The PCs at
home (which the kids use) seem to break rather a lot.

When there is a problem, it tends to be one of the moving bits such as the
hard disks, which are completely standard on these Dell machines.

In fact, these were very cheap system boxes - under 200 Pounds including
VAT. The component cost would be about 250 Pounds. However, there's also my
time to build up and test the systems if I bought the bits - worth say
another 50 Pounds per computer.

> "But I have 3 year on-site warranty" you say

For what Dell charge? You must be joking! :)

What I do have is several systems that are the same. There's one system box
that is only occasionally used and could be cannibalised for parts if
necessary.

"Lem" <z@mail.com> wrote in message news:95D57FF8EA70D5E712@130.133.1.4...
> On 04 Jan 2005, Tx2 wrote:
>

>>> ISTR that reliability too is better than average
>>
>> Than average what?
>

> Dell's reliability is often said to better than the average. See:
>
> 17th Annual Reader Satisfaction Survey
> click on links like 'Survey Results'

....."often said to better than the average" - cute phrase, ...says - not a
lot.

From the article:

"As you peruse the results, you'll see that no company is beyond reproach.
Each is guilty of selling machines that need repair and providing poor
technical support at times. The leading vendors-Apple in the desktop and
notebook categories, Dell in desktops and servers, and IBM in notebooks-are
those that keep criticism to a minimum."

......"keep criticism to a minimum" - how does that tranlate into MTBF?

also:

"Unfortunately, phone support is also among the most expensive support
methods. In order to cut costs, many vendors have moved call centers
overseas. Big vendors Dell, HP, Gateway, and Toshiba all use at least some
foreign call centers, and many readers complain of difficulty communicating
with technicians."

I especially liked:

"Unlike many of its competitors, IBM refuses to use overseas technicians,
and its tech-support scores are impressive. Readers give IBM a 7.0 overall
score for desktop tech support and a 7.6 for notebooks. They rate IBM
support techs' ability to comprehend user problems and to speak in a clear,
understandable manner at least a point higher than they do Dell, HP, Sony,
and Toshiba techs."

..... does that translate into "no one ever got fired for buying an IBM"
:eek:)))))))))

Pete

Out of interest - how much does Dell charge for a fifteen quid (thirty buck)
PSU?

In article <7DkCd.102371$K7.65026@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
Viper@Mailhouse.com says...
> Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
> Build it yourself using good brand name hardware and build it the way you
> want it. You will be very pleased with the results.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

I've actually built systems since the 70's and designed more than 1
motherboard and actually manage a IT firm that spec's hardware for many
companies.

For my own office I purchase parts and build to spec based on our needs,
but, most people can't do this for the same cost factor due to several
things:

COST of OS - unless you're a pirate Dell can get it cheaper in most
cases

COST of Applications - again, unless you're a pirate Dell can get it
cheaper than most places

Warranty - unless you have the skills yourself or you know someone or
you have an IT Staff, Dell can support you cheaper and quicker than you
can learn/do it on your own. Not everyone buys the cheap support plan
with off-shore support, many purchase gold or higher and get 4 hour
service times.

When I built several Dual Xeon servers for my office I managed to get
4GB of RAM, 1.3TB of RAID 5 space, and 250GB of RAID-1 space for about
$4300. The OS is free since we're a MS partner and they provide X
licenses for partners. The support is done in-house as well as all the
other care. If I had to add the OS it would run about $1000 including a
few licenses.

For a typical client, one without staff or support people of their own,
the same Dell will cost about $9,800 including the OS and 4 hour 24/7
on-site support as needed.

So, for $4,000 they get a dedicated response team with 4 hour 24/7 on
site response, instead of having to spend $120k/year for a dedicated
staff member to do the same.

When it comes to home computers, sure, Dell is not going to sell you a
bleeding edge system as cheap as you can buy the parts yourself, but
they will get the OS and Apps cheaper as well as many of the extras. The
big place they get the self-builder is the apps and support/warranty.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)